March 28, 2024, 02:31:09 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Ableton, the MF and Clock signals  (Read 451 times)

NeonBlackCat

• Apprentice
Ableton, the MF and Clock signals
« on: August 08, 2022, 06:48:32 pm »
Hej there

It seems pretty normal that the Arp/Seq is only running when your DAW does. Which is a bit annoying tbh, as my Elektron Syntakt doesn't care and I can also use it while Ableton is stopped. So it would be nice if this behavior could be changed in the future.
It is annoying as in this case anything else starts to play as well, unless I stopped/muted tracks inside Ableton.

In the meantime, it would be nice if the MF would adhere to the clock send by Ableton all the time. To circumvent the "DAW must be running" problem, you can set the clock in the MF to "automatic", this is nice as in this way you can play and rehearse stuff on the MF independently. However, the internal clock isn't synced to the signal/time it got from Ableton (so if Ableton runs at 120 and MF at 80, 80 gets chosen in this case). It would be awesome if the MF could sync to external and then also use this time as it's momentary internal clock. Coz this also affects the LFO rates.

Thanks for any help and workarounds if someone has any (that doesn't mean manually setting the internal clock to the Ableton tempo)

EDIT

Found a workaround:

unlike Ableton, my Syntakt sends a continuous clock via midi even if its sequencer isn't playing. So if you have another piece of gear that does generate a clock, try it that way!
Thus: I cabled the MF to the Syntakt via good ol midi cable and it works, I can play/jam on it without Ableton running, with the advantage that all is still synced by Ableton as a brain (no LFOs or Arp/Seq with quirky times)

Ableton sends clock to the Syntakt via usb-midi \> Syntakt gets the clock and routes it via standard 5-pin midi to the MicroFreak

for now, the universe is at peace again
(would still be nice if Arturia addresses this in a firmware update or even Ableton could send continuous clock)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 07:25:47 pm by NeonBlackCat »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines