April 18, 2024, 04:20:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Controlling midi parameters with Non arturia plugins  (Read 1043 times)

Slimkey

• Apprentice
Controlling midi parameters with Non arturia plugins
« on: August 02, 2022, 06:30:37 pm »
I’m fairly new here and not much experience with midi in general .
Is there a way to control non midi third party plugins in logic with the MK2 88?
I’m confused as to weather I should be in daw mode/ user mode when assigning any midi that I choose ? Any and all help here is very much appreciated!!!

Slimkey

• Apprentice
Re: Controlling midi parameters with Non arturia plugins
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2022, 08:35:59 am »
Is it just me or are there not many people on this forum ? Can anyone recommend any different forums for arturia mk2 questions ? I’m hoping for some answers to some questions . I certainly don’t want to offend anyone on this board either .....

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2022, 01:09:53 pm »
You're right it tends to be mainly filled with people who come just to make one or two whining posts about something then disappear never to be seen again (and that's not an underhanded shaded dig at you personally, just years of observation).

I didn't answer your first query cos I got lost at the 'non-midi third party plugins' part, and thought someone else might chime-in.
If you can explain more about what you're wanting to control, maybe I can help. But bear in mind I never felt the need to upgrade from the Mk1 KL88 I bought years and years ago, the Mk2 works appreciably differently (and by differently, I mean Arturia stripped away most of the really deep configuration options in favour of pre-programmed not-very-customizable DAW control choices), so any help I offer might only be general.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Slimkey

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2022, 08:58:47 pm »
Thanks MajorFubar,

Yeah I get it about people dropping in and out for a single question...whining etc.

I personally have found forums in general helpful when people are actually using them . Seems almost deserted here .....and so far arturia hasn’t been the best at any timely responses. Unfortunately, my first keyboard purchase from them was a nightmare purchase through a third party retailer . Yikes oh man. ....wasn’t cheap either so I’m giving this whole arturia/product and forum a chance . I’ll stop whining lol

I do appreciate you responding.

I’ve never been too familiar with midi other than plug and play virtual instruments . I’ve rarely assigned controls or even know what Cc this and that is ....so for that my question might sound really stupid . Here goes again and btw I see what you wrote about the non customizable daw features....crazy bad. Arturia  should change that pronto but so far sounds like a bad start for such an investment.

I just want to see if I can customize/control non arturia 3rd party plugins to various control knobs on the mk 2....and not even just plugins ....but functions that are not already pre-mapped. Using logic right .

From your response I’m guessing no . I wouldn’t even know where to start . Should I be on user /daw mode to even try ? Hope my post makes more sense ?

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2022, 11:45:38 am »
I think to control Logic you should be in DAW mode and choose Logic.
I'm not sure how tight the integration is though.
With my Mk1, knobs and sliders will operate the various Smart Controls in Logic (and the transport controls do control the transport), but I've never delved deeper than that to try to use them to configure parameters in specific soft synths.
In fact I've found once the novelty wears off of using sliders and knobs to control stuff on screen, I can usually get the job done quicker with a mouse.
The exception to that rule is my home studio is built around a 32-channel motorised control surface with flying faders, because I'm a hands-on guy when it comes to mixing. Even then, I never really use the advanced functionalities to control plugins like EQ and compression because it's easier just to use a mouse.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Slimkey

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2022, 05:20:32 am »
Impressive desk there...did you make that wow  !!!! Thanks yeah I’m more interested in getting away from the mouse as much as possible with things I do most often like eq cut etc...simple stuff. I just don’t know what mode to midi learn I should be on analog lab ,daw or user.????.. I prefer not to mess with daw as that’s pretty well mapped out of the box .... except for basic plugins like the logic eq etc ...this should be easy to find an answer but I just haven’t found it.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2022, 01:44:09 pm »
Impressive desk there...did you make that wow  !!!! Thanks yeah I’m more interested in getting away from the mouse as much as possible with things I do most often like eq cut etc...simple stuff. I just don’t know what mode to midi learn I should be on analog lab ,daw or user.????.. I prefer not to mess with daw as that’s pretty well mapped out of the box .... except for basic plugins like the logic eq etc ...this should be easy to find an answer but I just haven’t found it.
Thanks, no it was a commercially available desk from Thomman but i butchered it by lifting its upper shelf onto furniture legs to give me room for my control surfaces.

With regards to your controller i'd just experiment with either setting and figure out what works best for you. If you totally balls it up you can always do a full reset.

Slimkey

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2022, 05:52:46 am »
I was gonna say...I guess a factory reset is where I’m kinda at now almost

Slimkey

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2023, 10:40:40 pm »
I just want to scroll through presets in my daw (logic) for different sounds on a plugin ! Can this be done ? Can it be programmed somehow ?

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines