March 29, 2024, 09:54:30 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Extend the morphing capabilities  (Read 613 times)

Michael_G

• Apprentice
Extend the morphing capabilities
« on: March 29, 2023, 11:48:31 am »
Hi all,

The morphing feature is a fantastic tool. At the time, it summerizes to a single pot, which can be modulated by anything we want.

Couldn't it be possible to extend the morphing to any PB controller ?

I mean, instead of having only a dedicated pot to control the morphing, any controller (wheel, ribbon, ...) might become itself a morphing controller.

An example with the wheel mod : we would make a sound A when at its 0 position and a sound B at its max position, making it possible to continuously move between A and B exactly as we would do with the morphing pot (or by assigning MW to control morphing in the matrix mod). Any controller, be it the Morphee, the ribbon, a continuous pedal, etc. would have that capability.

As a result we could have different morphing schemes operating simultaneously when using several controllers in a live performance.

I was thinking of that because I recently programmed a patch where MW makes the sound change dramatically thanks to an extensive use of the matrix (kind of morphing emulation) added to a classic use of the morphing feature.

Just a suggestion.

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
Re: Extend the morphing capabilities
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2023, 01:14:13 pm »
Maybe I misunderstand, but here goes:

An example with the wheel mod : we would make a sound A when at its 0 position and a sound B at its max position, making it possible to continuously move between A and B exactly as we would do with the morphing pot (or by assigning MW to control morphing in the matrix mod). Any controller, be it the Morphee, the ribbon, a continuous pedal, etc. would have that capability.

Doing the morph with the mod wheel, or any other controller, is possible by assigning them to the Morph knob in the mod matrix. The morphee in the Morph mode does the morph on its XY surface already.

Michael_G

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2023, 01:38:35 pm »
I may not be clear, I'm afraid.

I know indeed it is possible to assign any controller to the morph knob in the matrix.

What I suggest is to allow the controllers to be morph knobs themselves.

What's the difference ? It is like having several morph knobs actually : each controller would have its own B sound at its maximum, making it possible to have crossed morphings in a live performance.

For example, we would have sounds A and B as usual with the morph knob and the morphee, plus sounds A and C with the mod wheel and sounds A and D with the ribbon.

I guess it may need some further thinking about how to implement that. But I have been in a situation where I would have welcomed such a possibility : I had programmed a patch where the morphee would allow to move between sounds A and B and the mod wheel between sounds A and C. However I had to make a somewhat complex programming in the matrix to make the mod wheel mimic the morphing from sound A to C. But in the end I got 2 different morphings operating simultaneously.

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2023, 02:53:09 pm »
Aha, got you! 👍

Right, so more actual parameter "end points" in addition to A and B. It's an intriguing thought, but I could see it becoming a user interface dilemma. Managing the A and B sounds can already a little involved if you do the deep dive using the matrix Morph mode offerings.

Doing extra morphing with the matrix is always a possibility, as you say. BTW, on the MatrixBrute I often have 4 "morphs" going using the 4 macro knobs.

Michael_G

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2023, 03:47:40 pm »
Yes, that's it !

It may become a user interface dilemma indeed. That's also why I say the starting point should be the same for all the controllers. And my suggestion must be refined.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines