April 19, 2024, 02:20:52 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Which Exp Pedal for the PB?  (Read 868 times)

StudioDeutz

Which Exp Pedal for the PB?
« on: July 09, 2022, 06:23:44 pm »
any tip would be great:
I have a Korg Exp 2 pedal and hooked it up to the PB. Works, but there are two issues
- the pedal movement just takes the first few milimeters to do what is expected
- the MIDI monitor of the MPCX shows that it just moves the amount of 0-64 or reverse 127-65

I checked of course the manual, this forum, and the internet - no clue which pedal works with PB.
I understand that the ranges of potentiometers of EXP Pedals requier a certain resistance - from 15K to somewhere 200K.
Before I try out several pedals in a music shop I'd like the community - or Arturia.
And, why is it not part of the manual - 3.3V information does not help me....

larioso

Re: Which Exp Pedal for the PB?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2022, 08:37:31 am »
From your description Korg does not work, that is how it goes when tip/ring are reversed.
You do not get a proper voltage divider potentiometer connected.

I like Boss EV-5 the best, the stroke is longer and works nicely.
I also use as second pedal EHX Expression which can be set to switch tip/ring to work on anything, but feel stroke is to short to be optimal.
I think impedance is good enough on any brand, really, don't waste time figuring that out.

Overall I find it's a nuissance that one pedal(if pedal 1) is default to master cutoff which interferes with knobs on panel not working if ever touching it. First thing I do is to set that to volume instead and resave preset.

Have fun...

StudioDeutz

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2022, 09:16:13 am »
Great, thank you. This will help to get a decission.
The Boss looks good, but is not available at my local music multi store...
But the Boss EV-30 Expression Pedal is similar, except, and this is quite interessting, two outputs.
And, yes - I need it basically for Volume control - the second one - let's see, have to think about it.

StudioDeutz

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2022, 05:37:08 pm »
Thank you larioso,
the idea of exchanging (resoldering) the ring and tip works fine.
All I had to do was to adjust the potentiometer to 0 and 127 - it stopped at about 8, while 127 was reached well before the pedal was pressed to the floor.

Nevertheless - the Boss EV-30 will be tried out anyways. Its ability to have two instruments to be connected looks interessting, as it makes a kind of crossfade of volumes of the two possible.
The EXP-2 at least reduces the volume of the PB up to 64 slightly and up to 127 more rapidly. So the overall volume could (theoreticly) be well balanced if the second instrument comes in.

Thanks again.

EDIT: here we go again: CC knobs out in the PB is switched off - the volume pedal transmits the volume change to my Virus. Same issue as with pitch and mod wheel. We need a filter for ALL cc out - not just the knobs.
Switching off CC in of the Virus is no option, as this is needed, as some sound manipulations are recorded in the MPCX....
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 05:49:24 pm by StudioDeutz »

larioso

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2022, 05:46:36 pm »
You're welcome. :)

For PB I do not use echo/monitor through daw at all, since there is some bug regarding hitting keys on keyboard at the same as midi is streamed to PB. It looses some midi input, and get hung notes. This is acknowledged since long.

So I just monitor audio and record midi, then play back midi only when I don't need to play keys.
I only use din midi, and no VST stuff from Arturia though, if that is different for you.

Just a tip until firmware update again. Internal processing seems to be maximized so some realtime event like midi in looses data if keys are played at the same time. I did test with loopback din midi, and local off setting and just after a few seconds you get hung notes playing two-handed. Midi out is fine though.

Might save you some issues....

About settings, digital Hammonds have a setting for exp.pedal to either receive internally on pedal or only by midi input. Maybe something like that could be useful for PB.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines