March 28, 2024, 05:25:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Keylab essential MIDI out channel: only 1...  (Read 3138 times)

Patrick MZ

• Apprentice
Keylab essential MIDI out channel: only 1...
« on: August 18, 2020, 03:27:32 pm »
Hello,
I have recently wanted to use the MIDI OUT DIN on my Keylab essential to control another synth (Roland JUNO 106). I found an issue, quite disturbing: the MIDI channel on whatever note coming out of the Keylab is always 1, whatever the channel change I can do on the Keylab hitting the MIDI button + key.
I checked it by analysing the output of the Keylab MIDI OUT via MIDIOX, it's always 1. I also checked in the Arturia MIDI Control Center MIDI Console, always shows 1.

Support asked me to check the Keyboard Channel, to make sure it was set to User, which it was. I have tried to change this to another value, does not change anything.

Did I miss something in the settings? Am I the only one with this problem?

Thanks for your help!

Pat
Pat

Patrick MZ

• Apprentice
Re: Keylab essential MIDI out channel: only 1...
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 12:31:45 pm »
Replying to my own question... hope it can help someone else:
- in order to be able to change the MIDI OUT channel on the Keylab, the MAP you select on the keyboard must have been set to USER in the MIDI Control Center (click on the Keyboard in the MCC, Channel must be set to USER)
- the 2 default MAPS that come with the Keylab (Analog Labs and DAW) are unfortunately set to channel 1, and as they are read-only, you cannot change them and are forced to 1
Pat

hugop92

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 07:19:43 am »
Same problem here.
Found an easy solution, in fact that just the normal behavior, no need for MIDI Control Center :
You have to first select a USER map on the physical keyboard, with Map Select + User 1 (for eg.).
But why the hell this is not written in the user manual, at the section "selecting a midi channel" ??

BreakerFix

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2022, 12:57:37 am »
In the event that either of you look back at this, or even somebody in the future finds this as helpful as I do, I want to say thank you. This is my first moment in the forum. I've been an Arturia software/plugin person for quite a while & have experienced similar issues there. Today, I was just about ready to pull the trigger & purchase my first Arturia keyboard,  a KeyLab Essential 88 & I couldn't really find any helpful reviews on them & that sorta bugs me. I thought, I know maybe it's time to see if Arturia has forum (a well hidden tidbit. YES!!) & I'm glad I did. This one post tells me a LOT. Why would one of the most basic functions of a controller (choosing a MIDI channel) not be included clearly in the docs?? Or more to the point, why is it so XXXXing complicated that I don't even understand what you guys are explaining? It sounds like I'd have to read the whole manual to learn just the most basic stuff AND after having done so, it wouldn't even BE in the manual.  :'(

That breaks my tiny little heart. That's just typical of the way things go these days. We can put person on the moon, but nobody thought to give that person a way to take a leak. Cover the basics first then the more complicated stuff. Icing is great, but you can't eat an icing cake. You need to have something holding everything together. I've got one more stop to ask a question here in this forum. Hopefully I'll get better news than this.

I GREATLY appreciate this thread. It reminded me that as my Grandma used to say, "Common sense ain't so darn common".

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2022, 08:50:47 am »
I feel for you. You have to think 'their way' before it makes sense.
In this instance it means putting the device in User mode before you can select MIDI channel, which is implied but not explicitly explained in section 2.6.1. of the manual, 'Changing MIDI Channel'
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines