March 28, 2024, 09:38:17 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: ribbon Theremin mode  (Read 1390 times)

EricP

• Apprentice
ribbon Theremin mode
« on: July 11, 2022, 09:20:03 am »
it would be great to be able to use the ribbon not just to modulate parameters but to trigger notes as well and "play the ribbon" like a theremin. Keeping the keyboard mode active, you could lay down chords on the keyboard while adding mono sliding melody on top. I think Hydrasynth has a similar mode

StudioDeutz

Re: ribbon Theremin mode
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2022, 10:51:31 am »
Is possible, map in the matrix Pitch Global to the Ribbon (Amount to max + or anything in 12 note value - the previous OS was a little "out of tune" that's what I saw in a video, where the guy had something like 26 as value), set VCOs Tuning to Continous, the Ribbon Mode can be set as pleased...
The centre of the ribbon is of course the root note, moving the finger across the b/w keys should match the appropriate note - relative to the root note!
I hope I did not forget anything - as I am not in the studio right now.
I am practicing this currently and it is fun. Especially as the CC values are not transfered to a possible slave synth.

EDIT: If you split the keys you can play the chords on the lower section with one hand, play the Theremin on the upper half, and use your nose for the ribbon :-) just joking. Best is to have a slave synth doing the chords. PB should be set to mono or unison the chord goes through to the slave synth anyways.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 11:02:01 am by StudioDeutz »

EricP

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2022, 11:21:10 am »
yes you are correct. I'm aware of the current capability to modulate pitch with the ribbon. My request is more about triggering new notes with the ribbon, using a separate voice than the ones triggered by the keyboard so that pitch modulation is only applied to the ribbon-triggered voice.

You can find an example here : https://youtu.be/JzuLisp6T_Q?t=919
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 11:26:39 am by EricP »

StudioDeutz

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2022, 11:40:19 am »
I see - a very dedicated function you are looking for. OK - sorry, misunderstood you...

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2022, 04:58:32 pm »
Although not exactly what you're asking for, perhaps you'll find something interesting here:
Paraphony and drones @ GS

larioso

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2022, 06:17:09 pm »
yes you are correct. I'm aware of the current capability to modulate pitch with the ribbon. My request is more about triggering new notes with the ribbon, using a separate voice than the ones triggered by the keyboard so that pitch modulation is only applied to the ribbon-triggered voice.

You can find an example here : https://youtu.be/JzuLisp6T_Q?t=919

At 15:19 the theremin is demonstrated. So you don't need to listen through the full demo.

larioso

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2022, 07:36:15 pm »
If you use the split feature, you can set the expression hold feature to just work on upper or lower part.

So as StudioDeutz suggested play chords on lower.
So set expression hold to upper only for that preset.

Then hit a note on upper, press sustain pedal, and play the theremin on ribbon as long as you wish, while playing chords on lower.
Don't remember which range you can set for ribbon, but can be pretty close what you look for.
Did I see 60 halfnotes somewhere, I believe so.

Until a certain firmware update might include a new mode for ribbon if Arturia decides so.

EricP

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2022, 09:48:41 pm »
That’s a great tip. I’ll try it. Thanks

rrr123

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2022, 04:53:26 am »
The strip is 29 semitones long on the keyboard, and centres on the Eb key. So if you set it to control Pitch Global and set the amount to 14 semitones, the pitches you play on it scale with the keyboard (14 semitones to the left of the Eb and 14 to the right). To get the notes themselves to line up with the keyboard, start by playing the Eb that lines up with the centre marking on the strip, then hold the sustain pedal. Now the notes you hear when you play around on the strip are the same as the adjacent keyboard notes. (If you do this in Split mode you can set the split point to the bottom C# of the strip and you get an octave to play around with at the bottom.)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 04:03:18 pm by rrr123 »

EricP

• Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2022, 10:43:17 am »
wow, that's very smart ! You obviously did your research. The 14 semitone is what makes the difference. I'll try it. Thank you

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines