April 19, 2024, 10:18:14 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: firewire connection  (Read 647 times)

Bob_R

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
firewire connection
« on: June 16, 2022, 01:31:14 am »
Hi all
am wanting to upgrading to a new computer from my old windows 7 pc which is more than 12 years old, all my keyboards are running through my Makie Onix 1620i sound mixer with firewire connection to pc which seems to be now out of date technology. I dont really want to dump my mixer is there anyway of connecting up to the newer computers.
Would appreciate any advise
Thanks
Gear: MatrixBrute, MicroBrute, Korg Kronos 73, Nord Lead 2X, Ableton live 9, Drum Beat, Lexicon MX200, Strymon Big Sky and Mackie Onyx 1620 Mixer plus other bits and pieces

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: firewire connection
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2022, 09:39:26 am »
The newest kid of the block is USB C, as I'm sure you are aware. Assuming your future PC will include a USB C socket, you might have to look into whether you can buy a firewire to USB cable. Alternatively if you are building a tower PC you could always fit a firewire card.

Next question, which I can't answer, is whether you would need Windows drivers for your Mackie that are compatible with Windows 10 or 11. Back when your Mackie was new, getting gear to work could be an absolute head-banging nightmare, because everything needed bespoke drivers. These days everything's class complaint and it's all just plug n play, even in the Windows world.

Lucky I saw the question tbh because it's not ASC related.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines