March 28, 2024, 04:12:37 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: VCA Initial Level: Dynamic Range Decreased  (Read 1104 times)

flyset

• Apprentice
VCA Initial Level: Dynamic Range Decreased
« on: May 23, 2022, 07:12:27 pm »
Why have you decreased the amount of dynamic range one can set for the VCA1&2 initial level for the velocity and VCA1&2 level after touch, is this intentional or is this a bug? On the V3 this works fine.

This takes the expressiveness away, to be able to go from really quite to loud.

LBH

Re: VCA Initial Level: Dynamic Range Decreased
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2022, 09:23:26 pm »
Hi,

The Touch Response ranges in CS-80 V3 was way  too large. The total level system was totally corrupt. This so needed to be fixed.

Because of this https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=109437.0 i haven't testet the Touch Response in the CS-80 V4 much yet.
The sensitivity off coarse also depend of the modulation curves. I do hope Arturia allready are are taking a closer look at this important Touch Response section, that was very important for the originals reputation as an or the expressive synth. The feeling need to be present.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 10:23:18 pm by LBH »

flyset

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2022, 01:26:09 am »
Hey,

isn't this a little too low now? How much gain in "db" did the original had at the initial level?

LBH

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2022, 05:50:17 pm »
Hello,

I believe the modulation effect also depended on the set VCA level.
I also believe that even when the VCA level was set to max, then the Touch Response still had some kind of impact on the level.

I was actually above to post the same example to you as i see you have posted in the thread i posted you a link for above. https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=109437.0
Thanks for that post.

My point is, that i'm not sure it's the Initial level that's wrong in CS4, because it's not possible to hear the effect well, at the time being. It's the way it work now i find is wrong.

If you in the example you posted attach a level meter, then you'll see a quite high level set by the Initial Touch Response Level slider. I think it goes from no level to about - 12 db, when the master volume is set to 0 db and the sent velocity is max (127). If you also raise the VCA level to max, then you get about 6 db higher level. Using 2 synthlines also add to the total level. So i don't think the problem is about the levels and how they work.
In your example you actually have quite a modulation range for the Initial Touch Response Level. We can then perhaps also talk about modulation curves, like i wrote.

The problem is excactly that the Touch Response only output a decay sound, even when the VCA Envelope sustain is fully open. And also there will be no release phase. I find this  to be wrong behavior. To get sustain as CS-80 V4 work now, then you have to raise the VCA level slider, and by doing that you reduce the modulation range and the expressive playing. It's not possible to have fully expressive sustained pads.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines