March 28, 2024, 09:07:12 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Adding/simulating an extra VCA?  (Read 2172 times)

jonners

• Apprentice
Adding/simulating an extra VCA?
« on: May 10, 2022, 04:54:42 pm »
We have three oscillator drivers but only two VCAs. It seems logical to me to have one for each driver. I get the 'one VCA per stereo channel' idea, but I can see more opportunities with more.

So, meanwhile, is there a way to simulate a third VCA? I'm interested particularly in gating a third oscillator set. I can separately gate two easily, using separate triggers on the two VCAs, but I'd like to do it with the third oscillator driver set.

I have tried using a triggered EG going into AM on the driver, but there always seems to be some low volume 'bleed' when it isn't being triggered, which may be very realistic, but isn't helpful (*).

(*) Key Follow 2 set with Low of C2, High of C3. Use that as the trigger for an EG. A=0, D=0, S=(nominal value), R=0. Output of EG goes to AM on the oscillator driver. Set AM to 1.0, so Oscillator only plays full volume when the keys between C2 and C3 are played.
(Interestingly I get better results switching the Key Follow Low and High, so it only triggers outside that range, and setting AM to -1.0 to invert the signal, but there is still some bleed).

I'm trying to see this in terms of voltages to envision what might work as a work around, but I'm not having much luck. I've also tried triggering a sequencer back and forth with one step fully high the other step fully low, but again, some low volume signal gets through. A noise gate would work wonders. I may just need to set an external noise gate up, but that feels clunky.

LBH

Re: Adding/simulating an extra VCA?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 10:51:12 pm »
You can mix things in the VCA mixer before you route signals modulated by other envelopes to the output VCA envelopes.
You can modulate the Mixer VCAs with Envelopes.
That give options. But nothing like having more output VCA Envelopes.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines