April 23, 2024, 06:47:54 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Newbie Sequencing with a DAW (Reaper)  (Read 1355 times)

jonners

• Apprentice
Newbie Sequencing with a DAW (Reaper)
« on: May 07, 2022, 03:13:58 pm »
I'm getting to grips with using the Modular V in Reaper. I feel I'm about ask for something really simple, but I'm not finding what I'm looking for (probably using the wrong search terms).

End result: I imagine being able to have all 9 oscillators controlled/sequenced by 9 midi tracks in the DAW. Both the pitch and automated modulations.

It might be that the pitch needs to be controlled through FM modulation, and I'll need a trigger/gate signal set up within the modular.

I think I'm looking for ways to control Modular V parameters through midi notes. I know I can control them through automation also, and would be looking to do both once I've worked out how to control pitch.

*** EDIT: I seem to be able to achieve the pitch control via the 'accord' (coarse frequency control). If I could route the midi notes to each one from individual tracks that would be great

Any pointers welcome.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 03:59:20 pm by jonners »

LBH

Re: Newbie Sequencing with a DAW (Reaper)
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2022, 06:00:53 pm »
I'm getting to grips with using the Modular V in Reaper. I feel I'm about ask for something really simple, but I'm not finding what I'm looking for (probably using the wrong search terms).

End result: I imagine being able to have all 9 oscillators controlled/sequenced by 9 midi tracks in the DAW. Both the pitch and automated modulations.

It might be that the pitch needs to be controlled through FM modulation, and I'll need a trigger/gate signal set up within the modular.

I think I'm looking for ways to control Modular V parameters through midi notes. I know I can control them through automation also, and would be looking to do both once I've worked out how to control pitch.

*** EDIT: I seem to be able to achieve the pitch control via the 'accord' (coarse frequency control). If I could route the midi notes to each one from individual tracks that would be great

Any pointers welcome.
Hi,

This is'nt simple.

Modular V is'nt multitimbral.

Do you know of any plugin where each seperate OSC can recieve midi notes on a seperate midi channel? i don't.

The following is your possibilities:

Modular V have 4 Keyfollows. Each Keyfollow can be set to cover a certain note range. This can be used to make some kind of split the keyboard.
You will have to spend some time to learn to use the Keyfollow section. I will not say it's easy, as it's not straight forward. I doubt this is what you are looking for.

The only way to control pitch for each OSC from your DAW is to usea Automation of each OSCs pitch. But still you can not trigger each OSC seperately.

You can use automation to control the volume for each OSC. So you can control volume for each note you send. Don't know how that will work. It will also be a lot of automation work.

Also you do have the option to use multiple Modular V instances.

EDIT: The factory preset "Speciel Force" is an example in using Modulars internal sequencer to trigger the 3 driver sections with seperate sequences.
This also require you spend some time to learn to do. But perhaps it can be useful to you.
Notice the different yellow S values in the lower right display of the drivers. EDIT END.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 09:32:52 pm by LBH »

jonners

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2022, 12:32:20 pm »
Thanks. Good to have another set of thoughts.

I've played with the guts of the Modular V itself, so I'm happy with key follow and split sequencers, it's more about driving it from a Daw I'm interested in.

I think, to get where I was imagineering, I might go for 3 instances of the modular (if the CPU doesn't squeal) driving one oscillator driver in each through key follow splits, and program the 'tune' with the midi notes in the daw. That way I can also have nicely textured sounds within each 'note' using up to three oscillators per driver.

All these things are fun to try out, because of what I learn in the process.

LBH

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2022, 06:01:52 pm »
Your welcome.

You can get a single clean split, if you use seperate Keyboard follow triggers for the two VCA Envelopes.
The same way can you trigger other modules like other envelopes.

The Keyfollow setting in the drivers unfortunately only make the keyfollow affect the pitch depending on the keyfollow settings.

I can suggest you try a test where you load as many instances of Modular V you can.

Personally i hope there will come a new version of Modular V.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 06:07:37 pm by LBH »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines