April 25, 2024, 09:10:32 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Key step MKii 61 vs. Akai MPK261 - noob question - sequencer  (Read 1009 times)

Seattle_transplant

Hi gang, if it痴 not already obvious, I知 new here.  Returning to music after 20 years of raising kids.  My question is about using as sequencer, lots of the music I listened to in the 80痴 had sequencers.

Apparently the Akai controller has a sequencer, maybe it痴 just a gimmick, but I知 not finding anything about a sequencer for the Key Step MKii.  Is there a way to do that type of thing natively on the controller or is there a plug in / download / application someplace to use for building sequences?  I understand that the Key Step MKii has a much better keyboard, etc. and I知 leaning this way anyway.

Thank you, hope you are all having a good day.

TF

amonti

• Apprentice
Re: Key step MKii 61 vs. Akai MPK261 - noob question - sequencer
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 07:09:40 am »
Hi TF - welcome back to music!

Before people chime in to offer suggestions, I can't help but notice that you appear to be conflating two products - KeyLab MKII and KeyStep. The KeyLab MKII is a MIDI and CV controller, plus a control surface for your favourite DAW/synth software and does not have an arpeggiator or sequencer, while the KeyStep is also a MIDI and CV controller, but is geared towards sequencing and arpeggiation. The KeyStep keyboards are excellent for sequencing and come highly-recommended if you want to concentrate on programming sequences without a computer as opposed to using a DAW (which I think is the approach most people take these days). If you want to use a DAW, then the KeyLab MKII is an excellent controller/control surface. By their nature, almost all DAWs will act as a sequencer, and most (but not all) will have an arpeggiator. The AKAI controller you mention has an arpeggiator, but does not have a built-in sequencer.

If you can clarify what you're after workflow-wise (e.g., standalone sequence programming vs. DAW), then I'm sure the group will be able to help.

Seattle_transplant

Re: Key step MKii 61 vs. Akai MPK261 - noob question - sequencer
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2022, 05:59:45 am »
Hi Thanks for your reply.  I definitely meant to say Key Lab, my fault, being old is hazardous.  Good news on the DAW, it sounds like I値l be able to do what I知 after.  I really wanted a set of keys that were more than an imitation piano.  I知 quite Ill these days and I知 hoping that learning / playing will give me something to focus on other than Netflix while I知 cooped up this summer.

Thank you again.

TF

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines