April 19, 2024, 08:11:25 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: System Exclusive/sysex dumps as in most synths, please  (Read 802 times)

larioso

System Exclusive/sysex dumps as in most synths, please
« on: May 04, 2022, 09:10:37 am »
Reason is that daw computer is always connected over Din Midi and so simple to make backups.
a) full dumps
b) bank dumps
c) preset dumps

The amount of time it takes to make total dumps through Polybrute Connect reveals that a lot of info for entire synth.

I use 10m din midi cables for some midi gear, and 6m for Polybrute. To do this over usb is not practical with such long cables.

Preset dumps is smooth to record on a track before music starts, and possible changes in Polybrute location is practical. Or as I do in Cakewalk/Sonar they land in sysex manager and can be sent as needed.

Bank dumps is practical to have a backup of what you worked on last. This is what Nordlead do.

Maybe the total dump is not practical from size point of view. Largest I have is Hammond XK3c and over 100 kbyte. But it also has flash memory backup so not needed in the same way. To solve the size and risk of data error they packaged sysex into blocks+checksum with a separate protocol they invented.

But bank dumps should be rather small as preset dumps would be too.

I have nothing of Polybrute Connect on daw computer, not a practical solution since I don't use VST stuff and that either. All midi gear is all din midi connection.

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
Re: System Exclusive/sysex dumps as in most synths, please
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2022, 10:19:05 am »
+1 I'd love for Arturia to introduce MIDI dumps for all their synths!

In the mean time, if you use Connect, you can get active USB repeater cables of just about any length.
Here are some options (and there are lots more out there):
https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=108911.msg188555

larioso

Re: System Exclusive/sysex dumps as in most synths, please
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2022, 11:42:51 am »
+1 I'd love for Arturia to introduce MIDI dumps for all their synths!

In the mean time, if you use Connect, you can get active USB repeater cables of just about any length.
Here are some options (and there are lots more out there):
https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=108911.msg188555

Thanks for support of the idea.

Only thing I use PBC for is backup and firmware update(once so far).

I use an old laptop for library stuff for synths I have, and use PConnect there. Just now though I have a reported bug that I have to install PBC right as I want to make backup and create a project, or it crashes. If I just boot computer and try installed PBC creating a project crashes. So extra 5 minutes every time.

I suspect there are undocumented sysex commands, possibly in the debug mode, which are used by PBC.
I only know of two things in debug mode, the extended calibration menu and the voice list display.

Just want midi to daw, and not go through PBC. Real easy to do for Nordlead, Prologue and DeepMind.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines