March 28, 2024, 10:06:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Keylab essential 49 issue.  (Read 1031 times)

LinardsN

Keylab essential 49 issue.
« on: April 13, 2022, 09:15:38 pm »
Hello,
I have an issue with my keyboard.
When I press one specific key a terrible sound is coming out, see attached video for it.
In attached picture you can see the two parts of board. The key that makes that terrible sound is last key of 1. board.

I tried to disconnect 2nd board and then the key sounds good as it supposed to. When I connect only 2nd board also every key works with no issues. But when both boards connected then the key on 1st board works as in video.

I tried also change midi cable and to attach to different laptops but no luck.
I suspect that there is some kind of a short circuit when both boards are connected. Does anyone know where could the short be? Is there s schematics that is possible to see where the key signal goes in circuit?

Thank you in advance.

amonti

• Apprentice
Re: Keylab essential 49 issue.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2022, 03:29:33 am »
First off - great that you opened up the unit and tested disconnecting and reconnecting cables - that goes a long way to figuring out the issue (or at least eliminating some things). It is a bit of a "head-scratcher", though! If it was a true short circuit, then an entire row or column of the keyboard matrix wouldn't work (e.g, it would affect several keys), unless that specific row and column were somehow shorted out, or if that specific key (at the end of the left board) just happened to have its own row and column by virtue of being 'outside' the matrix group. I kind of doubt it - there are 24 keys on that board, so the likely groupings are 4x6 or 3x8, which means that there are 3 or 4 controls lines and no 'outlier' key. But it's not as if the key doesn't work at all - it's producing an initial attack, then somehow repeating with a string vibrato kind of sound, which (to me) means that the decoder is at least 'seeing' the keypress. It's not likely to be the diode either, or it wouldn't make a sound at all.

If you hold the "bad" key down and press all other keys, do the other keys work properly? Can you play the bad key soft and loud (i.e., does it respond to velocity)?

My initial gut feeling is that it's software-related or the decoder chip is somehow bad as opposed to a short-circuit, but those are just guesses. Maybe try the two suggestions and let the group know what you discover.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines