April 24, 2024, 08:25:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Paraphonic CV mode  (Read 909 times)

slirak

Paraphonic CV mode
« on: April 15, 2022, 03:24:30 pm »
Say you have a modular with two (or more) oscillators, but a single filter and single VCA and you want to play this paraphonically.

You connect KSP Voice 1 Pitch -> VCO 1 and KSP Voice 2 Pitch -> VCO 2 (and so on if you have more VCO's), and the gate output of KSP Voice 1 to the gate in of an EG that's controlling the VCF and VCA.

You then route KSP track to output CV to voice 1 and 2.

Now say that you first play two notes simultaneously, i.e. a C and a G and you then play a single note, i.e. an E. What happens currently, is first you hear a two note chord, C+G. But  then you hear another two note chord, E+G. So Voice 2 will stick to the last note played. I guess that's not a problem with full polyphony, where each voice will have its own VCF, VCA and EG. You then won't hear voice 2 if its gate isn't on.  But it's rather cumbersome in a paraphonic scenario.

Here's what I'm suggesting for a paraphonic mode:
* When as many notes are played, as there are routed pitch CV's, send the bottom note to Voice 1, the second lowest to Voice 2 and so on. No round robin.
* If more notes than routed to CV are played, ignore the highest note(s).
* If fewer notes than routed are played, set all "unplayed" pitch CV outs to the same CV as for Voice 1.

It would also be nice with an option to set if each new pressed note will fire a new gate event at Voice 1 or not, much like note priority works in monophonic mode.

Cormentis

Re: Paraphonic CV mode
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2022, 09:09:41 pm »
Yes, this is a very desirable proposal!

Say you have a modular with two (or more) oscillators, but a single filter and single VCA and you want to play this paraphonically.

You connect KSP Voice 1 Pitch -> VCO 1 and KSP Voice 2 Pitch -> VCO 2 (and so on if you have more VCO's), and the gate output of KSP Voice 1 to the gate in of an EG that's controlling the VCF and VCA.

You then route KSP track to output CV to voice 1 and 2.

Now say that you first play two notes simultaneously, i.e. a C and a G and you then play a single note, i.e. an E. What happens currently, is first you hear a two note chord, C+G. But  then you hear another two note chord, E+G. So Voice 2 will stick to the last note played. I guess that's not a problem with full polyphony, where each voice will have its own VCF, VCA and EG. You then won't hear voice 2 if its gate isn't on.  But it's rather cumbersome in a paraphonic scenario.

Here's what I'm suggesting for a paraphonic mode:
* When as many notes are played, as there are routed pitch CV's, send the bottom note to Voice 1, the second lowest to Voice 2 and so on. No round robin.
* If more notes than routed to CV are played, ignore the highest note(s).
* If fewer notes than routed are played, set all "unplayed" pitch CV outs to the same CV as for Voice 1.

It would also be nice with an option to set if each new pressed note will fire a new gate event at Voice 1 or not, much like note priority works in monophonic mode.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines