April 16, 2024, 10:20:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Keylab MKII 61 sending out erroneous midi panning message  (Read 1437 times)

Starise

• Apprentice
Keylab MKII 61 sending out erroneous midi panning message
« on: March 24, 2022, 07:26:49 pm »

I have a keylab MKII 61 connected to a PC using Cubase pro 12 as my DAW in HUI mode selection.

Since version 12 is a new release, I thought originally this was a bug in the Cubase software, however when I turn off my Keylab the problem goes away.

In the lower right on Cubase is the midi monitor which shows a regular midi 'pulse' coming from the keylab as the indicator will jump on a regular basis maybe once every second or so.This happens when I am not touching anything on the keylab. If I pan the 1st channel back to center, the next time I see the midi pulse in Cubase the panning is pushed once again back to far left.

This only happens on the first channel, so far it doesn't happen on any of the other channels.

I have not had opportunity to look at a midi event list to see what is being transmitted, but apparently it is tied to the panning on channel 1 in Cubase.

Anyone else have this issue or know what it could be?

Thanks.

amonti

• Apprentice
Re: Keylab MKII 61 sending out erroneous midi panning message
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2022, 12:23:51 am »
You've likely read in numerous places to use HUI mode with KeyLab and Cubase, but I've had no issues (well, maybe I had to do something for click long ago) with "Cubase" mode in MIDI Control Centre. Just for fun, I tried your configuration in Cubase 11 and 12, and I see the regular MIDI panning message as well (B0 10 7F, which is MIDI Channel 1, PAN, full right) when I use HUI mode. That would drive me nuts!

Maybe give the following a shot: set your MKII to "Cubase" mode in MIDI Control Centre, then under studio setup in Cubase 12, add a "Mackie Control" device, then ensure the Input and Output are connected to the MKII. You should be able to fully control Cubase from the MKII without the panning message appearing. I honestly don't know why that particular control message is being sent, but given the number of parameters and APIs Arturia has to address, it may be just a bug in the latest MKII firmware. I haven't tried this under Cubase 12, but it's been my setup on 11 (I'll give it a shot later on today).

amonti

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2022, 02:49:12 am »
Just tried "Mackie Control" and "Cubase" mode in Cubase 12 - worked great, but I was hearing some odd sounds when operating the transport controls. Turns out that you should also exclude the MKII DAW under "MIDI Port Setup" in "Studio Setup" (uncheck 'In All MIDI' for the DAW). After that, no odd notes from any control surfaces, and no 'pulsing' channel pan messages. Everything else seemed to function normally.

Starise

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2022, 04:32:26 pm »
Thanks Amonti for being so helpful here.

Due to the pan message I ditched HUI mode and went back to Cubase mode. Originally when I attempted to use Cubase mode I had "all midi in" checked in studio setup mode. These boxes needed to be left unchecked. Pardon me as I am not at my DAW, it may have been called "midi in" or similar. It's located along the top right of the midi devices window and is the last box in the row.I will try to provide a screenshot of it later.

After I unchecked the box all controls work ok in Cubase. After spending some time mixing the only issue I found was sometimes my recording track will change right in the middle of a recording. Didn't happen all the time but was annoying to be recording on one track and all of a sudden I'm recording on another previously recorded track.

I submitted a support ticket and was given a bunch of things to check.Hopefully that info will help me get it sorted out.I am aware 99% of the technical issues I have are not usually hardware related.
So you managed to get your MKII working ok then?

amonti

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2022, 09:12:06 pm »
Great - glad to hear you ended up using the "Cubase" configuration; I know exactly the options window you are referring to (I awkwardly tried to refer to the same window in my second response) - definitely need to uncheck "all MIDI in" or strange things happen.

As far as your 'random' track selection issue goes, I haven't experienced that yet, but the reason I joined the forum was to post a fix to the random behaviour my MKII was exhibiting (working great now that I replaced a bad slider). People have all kinds of issues caused by dirty encoders and sliders - you may want to investigate if you continue to have random behaviour.

If you do find a fix that works, please follow-up - there are likely other people experiencing the same thing.

Starise

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2022, 03:33:42 pm »
Hey amonti thanks for chiming in.
I honestly grew tired of attempting to make this work in Cubase for now. I submitted a service ticket for my issues and determined so far as Cubase goes, it was Steinberg who made the scripts for the Keylab essential series and they who would need to make the scripts for Keylab MKII. At least I am being told it isn't planned at this time by Arturia to do so.
Apparently there was no prior communication with Arturia from Cubase when they rolled out their new midi control feature. I get the feeling there isn't as much back and forth as we would like to believe between some of these companies. Hopefully attitudes based on the lack of communication have not developed as I would like to see progress. There is every reason to believe the new midi controller programming feature in Cubase can get the job done if nothing else works. Cubase and HUI mode seems to make 90% of Cubase work at this point. I am not happy with what seems like a very clunky way to make things work. IMO one should not need to go between several programs. I was able to make Cubase work if I simply ignored the first track that always panned left in HUI mode lol. But then HUI is not the recommended way (from arturia) to maker it work.
I suspect we might do better using the new Midi features in Cubase on user mode in the MKII.

After my service response from Leo, I was able to get Ableton working flawlessly, so as a path of least resistance I have temporarily started using Ableton since I have the standard version before I bought the MKII 61. It works VERY WELL with Ableton and ione could do much worse in a DAW.

While I preferred Cubase to Ableton, Ableton is getting my music out until I get Cubase sorted out. Use of MKII was quirky still in Cubase and I didn't want to waste any more precious time right now messing about with it. Cubase has a few small bugs to deal with in the new midi feature, after that I think it's going to rock because it allows use of any controller with not much effort.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 03:37:50 pm by Starise »

shadokorama@gmail.com

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2022, 10:35:03 pm »
You might want to have a look at this post https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=109003.0.
I have same CC message that keep being sent to cubase. AS of now, I'm quite sure this is neither a hardware nor a Arturia problem, but a Cubase 12 issue.
I'm working on Windows 10 : I've tried to use WinRT midi in/out. I still have some CC message coming in so it's not perfect but it is enough.
I'm going to try to return to my original Cubase setting is the Arturia midi control center + Mackie control in cubase, removing extra midi IN/OUT in the cubase studio > midi setting, hopping this will do it.

shadokorama@gmail.com

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2022, 10:49:36 pm »
Maybe give the following a shot: set your MKII to "Cubase" mode in MIDI Control Centre, then under studio setup in Cubase 12, add a "Mackie Control" device, then ensure the Input and Output are connected to the MKII. You should be able to fully control Cubase from the MKII without the panning message appearing. I honestly don't know why that particular control message is being sent, but given the number of parameters and APIs Arturia has to address, it may be just a bug in the latest MKII firmware. I haven't tried this under Cubase 12, but it's been my setup on 11 (I'll give it a shot later on today).

Well returned to my original setup before upgrading to Cubase 12 : Arturia Midi control center set to "Cubase". In Cubase removing mackieHUI adding MackieControl connected to MIDIIN (keylab mkII) and MIDIOUT (keylab mkII) AND unchecking extra midi IN/OUT like "Keylab MkII" :
I don't  have random midi CC message input anymore, but I have notes sent when I use some of the transport or panners/faders .... It's really getting on my nerves.
Any idea anyone ?

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines