March 28, 2024, 05:09:49 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Does NKS really work on Arturia plugins?  (Read 1445 times)

CheezBallz

• Apprentice
Does NKS really work on Arturia plugins?
« on: March 20, 2022, 02:11:57 pm »
I see Native Instruments touting NKS, and I’m sure it works great on their software. But I’m skeptical that it works well on other software. Is my skepticism founded or unfounded?

I was sorely tempted by one of their midi controllers last week because they were throwing in their Komplete 13 Select bundle with them (Massive, Monark, Prism and a bunch of sampled instruments). But I’m holding out for a Keystep 37.

amonti

• Apprentice
Re: Does NKS really work on Arturia plugins?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 06:35:47 pm »
Works very well; I have KOMPLETE KONTROL 61 in addition to a KeyLab MKII 61, and with Komplete software, all Arturia synths are quite fully integrated into the control surfaces using NKS. Not as well as the Native Instruments "native" instruments, but that's to be expected (in the same way that Native Instruments instruments aren't integrated into the KeyLab control surfaces as well as Arturia's own).

My only complaint would be that there are sometimes dozens of parameters to page through to 'tweak' Arturia synths on the KONTROL, where it's much easier on the KeyLab because of Arturia's encoders AND sliders (the KONTROL has only encoders). The dual navigation screens on the KONTROL are really nice, but I find myself looking at my monitor just as much as the displays. The keybed on the KONTROL feels better (it's a Fatar with great weight and aftertouch), and the "play along" lights are sometimes useful for figuring out complex patterns, as is the ribbon controller (it would have likely made more sense above the keybed).

Be forewarned though - like Arturia, NI has a funny habit of sending you tempting offers for large bundles and before you know it, you're knee-deep in synths that, while fun, aren't going to be explored to their full potential - preset skimming is common, and all software vendors have figured out upgrades to the point that it's basically an annual subscription.

Right now, I'm having the most fun with a PROGUE (https://www.jsisynth.com/progue.html) synth that I built, since I'm trying to see how well I can emulate lead and bass synths that I like in the absence of a computer. It's basically a Moog Prodigy and Rogue hybrid, which also can sound like a Taurus.

If you have a specific integration question, please let me know.

CheezBallz

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 10:43:00 pm »
Thank you, I appreciate the feedback. I was sorely tempted by the Kontrol 32 with a Komplete bundle the other day, but the deal is gone and so is the temptation.

Mostly, I want a Keystep 37 for creative noodling purposes, but I should consider a control surface to handle synths & mixers. But yes - bundles are tempting, and I know that eventually, I will own the V collection despite me not needing any more synths (frankly I didn't need the FX Collection either but hey - I own it now!).

CheezBallz

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 10:46:00 pm »
Oh wait - they're offering the Kontrol 13 Select bundle with it until April 7. I might just have to buy it, I'm going to have birthday money burning a hole in my pocket. Maybe I'll pick up a Keystep 37 too 😂

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines