April 19, 2024, 07:42:47 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Ideas to Query/Filter Preset List(s) by current TYPE / CHARACTERISTICS tags  (Read 2756 times)

listenForward

• Apprentice
The Microfreak not only has the ability to hold a wealth of over 350 Presets per Project mmeory at one time,
I find that scrolling through a single monolithic list to undermine this wealth of options... despite that many such lists form Arturia or Users may have "chunks" in the list.

So I'd like to start some brainstorming on...
more SEARCHing Approaches.

MetaData for finding sounds/samples is not new; I've found it helpful guidance, whether panel-suggested on MicroKorgs and Sirius-es, or on-board-searchable in my discontinued/beloved Korg Radias or modern gear Elektron or Novation.
However, it's not always helpful if the logical isn't elegant or flexible.
So far w/in Arturia's usage (on the Freak, MatrixBrute, or PolyBrute) I've only found these implemented toward some sort/upload/audition process through the editor, but Arturia's choice of MetaData tags suggest some untapped logic.

I could see them extended to assist in more agile sound navigation for per-production...or even more playful hands-on times... perhaps even at the speed of live jamming.

The TAGs available:

I notice that the Arturia's patches have MetaData "tags" in 2 specific Categories,
interfaced from w/in the Librarian(s) of the MIDI Control Center editor,
 as listed alphabetically.
<<< see Attachements >>>

There are (presently):

12 Types
  • Bass
  • Brass
  • Keys
  • Lead
  • Organ
  • Pad
  • Percussion
  • Sequence
  • SFX
  • Strings
  • TEMPLATE
  • Vododer

...and, presently

18 Characteristics
  • Acid
  • Aggressive
  • Ambient
  • Bizarre
  • Bright
  • Complex
  • Dark
  • Digital
  • Ensemble
  • Funky
  • Hard
  • Long
  • Noise
  • Quiet
  • Short
  • Simple
  • Soft
  • SoundTrack

Logically, each MicroFreak preset
  • may be only be one TYPE at a time, so this would be more exclusive/categorical searching
  • may have any combination of the CHARACTERISTICs, so this would afford more inclusive/boolean searching.

A suggested UX for Tax-based Preset-searching

Imagine, then, that,
as alternative/sub-mode of rotating Encoder through the FULL number-ordered preset-list,
we had some alternate way to enter some Preset Tag Search Screen scroll through sub-lists returned by queries of of TYPE and/or CHARACTERISTIC.
I'd suggest:
  • HOLD some button to enter Search/Filter mode (w/ a distinction from the Preset List screen).
  • press another button to enter Search Filter mode... perhaps TAP:

• Spice to select Type tags (by key)
       and/or

• Dice to select Characteristics tag(s) by key
  • the Screen flashes the Tag's category and specific Text Name to show us it's ON/OFF, so we get confirmation of tags mode and tags toggling on/off
  • perhaps the Pitch Strip could be used to:

• review the a list of Active/Inactive CHARACTERISTIC tag(s)
       and/or

• toggle the Characteristic tags from boolean AND to OR searching
  • the Preset Search screen falls back to an updated/numbered list of eligible presets
  • where-upon we can the Preset Encoder is turned to select among a subset of available Presets that qualify for the current set of TYPE and/or CHARACTERISTIC tags keyed in from the keybed.

...Yes. Could get messy, and it would be a significant undertaking in development.
However, given the existing logical framework that...
  • each preset can only have one  of these TYPEs
  • most thoughtful presets only qualify for a minority of CHARACTERISTICs
...then the query system could
  • prove quite quick and direct for on-board usage
  • increase the utility and value of the Librarian in the MIDI Control Center
  • allow more spontaneous (less-scrolling, more muscle-memory) approaches to discovery/navigation of presets toward jamming in-studio, live-looping, or even on stage... all with JUST the MicroFreak

Why this matters
Most of the time I bring MicroFreak down by my computer to find/use specific patches while creating music, OR when I deep-dive into the Microfreak Librarian of the MIDI Control Center app, I wish for this kind of searching.
In fact, given the ordered-preset scrolling feels ike the main bottleneck between the vast sound potential of this synth's engine, their massive-program list-space, and their respectively elegant front-panel...
Even through I only (presently) own the MicroFreak, I see how this could serve big(ger) returns to those investing in MatrixBrute and/or PolyBrute synths.

However it would help this spectrum of Arturia synthesizers users, I'd be eager to help with development and/or testing with this endeavor long-term in my free time.

I listen forward to knowing what Arturia Developers and/or users think of these ideas and suggestions.

cheers for now !
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 10:15:14 pm by listenForward »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines