April 16, 2024, 10:24:32 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: How to control Analog Lab V master volume from DAW?  (Read 816 times)

dyross

How to control Analog Lab V master volume from DAW?
« on: February 19, 2022, 03:21:17 pm »
Hi there,

I've read through the manual and searched the forum but can't find how to do this. I understand that not all instruments / presets are velocity sensitive, but Analog Lab does seem to have a MIDI-controllable master volume, but I can't get to work in my DAW (logic).

I was able to set the MIDI Control for "Control Master" to CC 16, and then automated some changes in my DAW (Logic), but it doesn't seem to have an effect:

Analog Lab MIDI settings: https://ibb.co/KqwGZbn
Corresponding automation in Logic: https://ibb.co/HNrX0xG

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
David

LBH

Re: How to control Analog Lab V master volume from DAW?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2022, 04:04:20 pm »
Hi,

I don't use Logic. But does'nt you have access to Analog Labs automation parameters?
A plugin can have many more parameters to automate than you have midi CCs to use.
It look like you have drawn the automation, and not recorded it, so you could just have choosen the automation parameter Master Volume for your automation.

In your example i have a feeling, that you have not set the DAW to READ the midi CC automation.
If the midi Channel midi CC match between your plugin and your DAW, and automation data is present without conflits and it does'nt work, then it must be because the automation data is'nt set to READ or is'nt passed to the plugin for another reason.

FYI: When using midi CC, then midi CC #07 is used for Volume in generel midi, so normally used for volume. However it's also normal to set a Master volume to a specific value, and then automate a expression set to control a "volume" that work within the max set value of the Master volume, That's to prevent overdriving the output. You can automate the Master volume if you wish though. We are not talking about right or wrong, but perhaps about what in the long run may be easiest for you to manage, when using lot's of plugins where this midi CCs is set by default.
In Analog Lab midi CC #16 by default is set to be used on another parameter. Be aware, that if you then use that midi CC for another thing, then you can't use it for the default parameter in the active Midi Config.
In generel i think it would be a good idea, if you learn more about both midi CC and automation.
I have a feeling that's the main issue in this case.

I hope this will help you to find a way that work for you, no matter how you choose to do it.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: How to control Analog Lab V master volume from DAW?
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2022, 03:15:17 pm »
Logic user here.
Trying to automate AL's master volume, which may or may not respond to midi control (I've never needed to try), seems a long-winded method of just automating the actual track volume. What am I missing as to why that won't give you the same result?
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines