March 28, 2024, 03:48:34 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Multiple keyboards for multiple voices  (Read 1786 times)

blevenz

Multiple keyboards for multiple voices
« on: January 04, 2022, 09:42:43 pm »
I just bought Analog Lab V and would like to use it for live performance. I'm going to read the full manual but in the meantime, one thing that seems like it should be utterly basic is confusing me. That is -- if I'm running two MIDI keyboards (neither is an Arturia BTW), how do I get the first keyboard to play one sound and the second keyboard to play another sound? I'm sure it has to do with channels or something, and I'll eventually figure it out, but if anyone has the remedial-level answer they can share quickly, I'd appreciate it.

LBH

Re: Multiple keyboards for multiple voices
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 12:56:54 am »
Hi,

If you only use one instance of Analog Lab, then you can only have two sounds, when you use Multis presets.
You can set seperate midi channels for the sounds.
You can also set a keyboard range for each sound so the sound depend on the midi notes you play, even when the sounds are on the same midi channel.

Have a look in the manual section "4.5. Keyboard Settings".

Also read about Multis and Edit Preset in the manual.

-------

If you use a DAW or a host, then the functionality also depend on the DAW. You might need two tracks to send two different midi channels to one Analog Lab instance loaded on both tracks.

You can also use multiple instances of Analog Lab. Then you many times don't have to use Multis presets, even if you can.

How this can work in example also depend on how you can work with midi channels with your controllers, and in a host if you use one.

-------

Have a look in the manual section "3.3.1. Settings Tab". For standalone midi channel setting.

------

In all case, then keep in mind, that some presets are made in applications that can have different midi channels set internally for different sounds or keyboard manuals. This midi channels can afaik at the time being not be changed without owning the individual full application in question. This can have an impact on how you plan your work.

-----

It's really something you have to work with, and find out, what you can and what you can't do.

I have never used multiple controllers for an application. But it should work. At least if they show up in audio and midi settings. Not sure you can use two of the same type of controllers. I think it should be possible.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 02:21:36 am by LBH »

JDoo

• Beta-testers
Re: Multiple keyboards for multiple voices
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 02:24:41 am »
The link that LBH gave you will work for Analog Lab V.  As he said, you'll need to set each of the keyboard onto it's own channel (Section 4.5 in the manual explains how).  It's pretty simple and works a treat.  If you want something more complex, you may need a DAW or host.  I use MainStage, and have hardware and soft synths mixed together in layers and splits.  There is no limit to the number of instruments, and sounds in MS.  If youre not dialed into the Apple ecosystem, it isnt an option though.  Anyway - with Analog Lab V -- you can split and layer two patches per preset.. and create as many presets as your system can handle and organize those into Playlists.  Again though.. in AL - you will be limited to two instruments/sounds.  One per keyboard/part.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines