March 29, 2024, 07:00:37 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Audiofuse Studio - 48v phantom power noise  (Read 2744 times)

wstratton

Audiofuse Studio - 48v phantom power noise
« on: January 11, 2021, 06:14:51 pm »
Hey all, I just bought an Audiofuse Studio to replace an Apollo Twin, and I'm impressed with it, except for one big problem--activating phantom power on any of the four preamps causes a lot of static noise when microphones are connected. When only a cable is connected, there is significantly more noise, but the noise with the microphones connected is significant enough to make the recorded signal unusable. I've A/Bed with other preamps and I've tried other power sources, and I've tried disconnecting the device from the computer--same result in all cases. Before I send this back to the retailer, any ideas?

wstratton

Re: Audiofuse Studio - 48v phantom power noise
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 09:11:26 pm »
Never mind, this may be an issue with humidity or faulty microphone capacitors that has nothing to do with the AudioFuse. I'll report back if further testing reveals otherwise!

julien.daltin@hotmail.fr

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 08:46:38 pm »
Hey, same issue here. It may has to do with the 48v supply : when I replace the Arturia's 48v with an external 48v supply, then the noise disappears ...

Did you manage to solve this problem ?

Any tech on this ?

Thx Julien

OldieButGoodie

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 07:24:46 pm »
Never mind, this may be an issue with humidity or faulty microphone capacitors that has nothing to do with the AudioFuse. I'll report back if further testing reveals otherwise!
This is definitely an issue with the AudioFuse Studio's phantom power.

I have done a direct comparison test between the AudioFuse Studio (£799GBP) and an IK Multimedia Axe I/O (£299GBP), both with +48v phantom power enabled. Both were new, both tested in identical circumstances, in a silent, soundproofed room, with the input gain at half and then full level.

The Axe I/O was quieter at full gain than the AudioFuse Studio was at half gain.

I concluded that the AudioFuse Studio is unusable for vocals on even moderately quiet songs. It's simply too noisy when phantom power is enabled.

Is this just a bad batch of phantom power supplies or is it an issue with every AudioFuse Studio? I have sent this to Arturia tech support and await their reply. I will report back once it is received.

(I originally attached screen grabs of the test results, but they came out huge, so I've removed them)

amusic

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2022, 02:22:37 am »
Just wanted to chime in with a similar experience. Everything about my Audiofuse Studio works great but for some reason the 48v has been extremely noisy on all four input channels. I'm curious, what microphone(s) did you use with the Audiofuse? I'm a professional voice over artist and rely on a Sennheiser MKH416 shotgun mic for my voice. Every time phantom power is turned on there is a very loud, constant white noise. I've used the same mic on both cheap and expensive interfaces (Mackie Onyx/Apogee Ensemble) and have never had this problem. The Canadian distributor (Jam Industries) isn't very responsive so I've tried to investigate the issue by swapping out different mic cables and mics. In addition to the MKH416 (shotgun) I also tried a Blue Bluebird (LDC) and Lewitt LCT440 Pure (LDC).  The LDCs were slightly noisy but passable but the shotgun mic was unbearably noisy. Same results swapping out different cables with all 3 mics. Does the Audiofuse Studio not play well with MKH416 or shotgun mics? The same mic has no noise problems at all with other interfaces. This is so confusing!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines