March 29, 2024, 07:32:17 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: using a separate amp with passive speakers  (Read 3012 times)

Sir Francis

• Apprentice
using a separate amp with passive speakers
« on: January 08, 2022, 10:31:39 am »
Hi, I can't figure this out (I was never good at signal flow). Is it possible to use my stereo amp with its passive speakers with Audiofuse Studio?  Preferably as Speaker B. I've done my Forum searching & Googling with no luck. I assume it is possible but I don't know which outputs & inputs to connect together for both things (I could do trial & error but I don't want to spend too much time if it's not possible. I hope someone has thought of this and has an answer. Thanks & Cheers, everyone.

hazmatt

• Apprentice
Re: using a separate amp with passive speakers
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 09:30:17 pm »
This sounds like something very reasonable for the audiofuse studio to do. What sort of inputs does your stereo amp have on it, or what model amp is it?

The audiofuse studio's speaker outputs are a balanced signal. This means the jacks expect a tip-ring-sleeve configuration, which looks like a headphone plug with two little bands around it rather than a guitar instrument cable that just has one little band separating the 'tip' from the 'sleeve.' If your amp is like a regular old stereo receiver, it might expect unbalanced inputs, which you could run to it from the aux outs on the audiofuse studio rather than the speaker outs.

Sir Francis

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 07:12:03 am »
Hi, thanks for replying. I appreciate it.

this link is probably vastly superior to what I have written below!

https://au.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/5/317675/YHT-1092_IM.pdf

Specifically page 7 which has a diagram of the back panel (I should have thought of this first but I assumed it would be easy to look at the back myself. I was wrong).

It is a Yamaha receiver RX-V765 probably over 10 years old (like my computer)

HDMI Out & 4 HDMI ins
Spealer Impedence 6 (Omega) Min
Front speakers 4 (Omega) Min
Other Speakers 6 (Omega) Min

The other inputs are mostly RCA

The speaker connection have two  cables for each speaker (is that bi-amp??? I don’t remember anymore. I used to know this stuff centuries ago but I’ve forgotten a lot.

Anyway, there are 2 speaker connections for each speaker. I only have a stereo pair connected. This receiver allows for Surround sound but I never needed it as my room is small.

There is component inputs (AV1 / TV)

AV2 & AV 3 are single RCAs.
AV 3 shows Optical (CD)
next to that is a single RCA above and below is an unfamiliar input saying optical
AV5 & 6 have 3 RCAs I assume for video & stereo sound.
Next is a similar 3 RCA set up called AV out
Then there are 2 RCAs called Audio 1 & Audio 2
Above that is a heading Monitor Out with 3 RCAs for component video “I think” they are labelled PA, PB & Y (my flashlight stopped working so it’s difficult to read - my eyes are 61)
next to that is a single video RCA
Then Remote (In & Out looks like phono input?)
and a Trigger out +12V
0 1A Max

In the Multi Channel Input section there are 2 RCAs for Front, Surround, Surround Back, and one RCA each for Center & Subwoofer (the Center might be handy with the Audiofuse?)

Then 2 RCAs each for Audio Out & Zone 2 Out.

The next section is labelled Pre Out with 2 RCAs each for Front, Surround, Surround Back, and one each for Center and Subwoofer 1 & 2

I think that’s about it.

I hope this makes some sort of sense to you. I am bewildered. Probably why I stuck with stereo only.

Thanks again, for your help.

Cheers, 

Francis

hazmatt

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 08:43:44 pm »
Aha, I used to have an old yamaha receiver like that (but stereo, not surround). If your audio inputs are RCA, then you should be able to go directly from the audiofuse Aux out to the yamaha audio in using a cable like this https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CPR201--hosa-cpr201-1-meter

If you had planned to use the aux sends on the audiofuse for other things (like re-amping guitar parts) there are solutions to get from the balanced line speaker outs to the unbalanced audio in on your receiver, but they would require another adapter for the cable.

Sir Francis

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 05:45:29 am »
Hi, thanks again.

So that is Audiofuse AUX out (NOT Speaker B) to Yamaha Audio in (in the Multi Channel input section?)

I think I have those cables you showed so I will give it ago.

Cheers,

Francis

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2022, 01:49:58 pm »
The AudioFuse does not have a stereo Aux out as far as I can see from the manual?

The easiest and best solution, rather than try to rig-up one of the balanced outputs to the unbalanced inputs on your Yamaha, would be to use one of the headphone outputs on the front. You just need a 1/4" jack to RCA stereo cable. Turn up the output level of your Audio Fuse to about half way and use your Yamaha amplifier to govern the overall volume level of your speakers.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

hazmatt

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2022, 06:02:51 pm »
MajorFubar is right that a headphone out could also work, but the Aux Outs are split into a stereo pair in the Audiofuse Studio Control Center, and you can assign virtually any submix you want to them

Sir Francis

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 12:00:18 am »
Thanks guys, much appreciated. I'll give both options a go and see which I like. I'll have to see if I have the right cable for the headphone output option. Cheers, Francis

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines