April 26, 2024, 07:07:55 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Add folder for samples in utility Engine  (Read 919 times)

fcarosone

• Apprentice
Add folder for samples in utility Engine
« on: January 06, 2022, 08:14:18 pm »
I am newcomer in Arturia Pigments but I've used multi-layer vst synths since years to build my own sounds.
I use to build a keyboard sound using 4 layers (elsewhere):
1. a percussive initial transient
2. a "pad" sustained sound
3. a virtual analog sound that comes out if one stays on the key for a while, with a lot of evolving features controlled in realtime
4. a granular sound that plays with the pad and comes out at command by means of my expression pedal or modwheel.

In Pigments, I use the sample/granular engine to do 4, the harmonic/additive engine to do the pad, and so I need to do 1 and 3 with the utility engine. For 1, I have some transient sounds in Pigments library (3.5 today), but I can't officially add my own. On Windows 10, I could see they are under the hidden dir ProgramData. I copied a transient sound of mine in the _Noise/Transient Pigments directory by windows explorer, and the next time I loaded Pigments and switched the utility engine on I could see my sample along with the factory presets: I was ok with that, then I used the utility virtual analog to do 3, and associate it with the 3rd envelope and the second filter (the harmonic layer has its own filter).
So I could do it. But, it would be cleaner if I could create my user_folder and put my transients there, as it happens in the sampler engine. Can we add a + sign, as the sampler engine, to add our own folders also in the utility engine from within the vst interface?
Some other user might ask other enhancements to the utility engine.
Now, for discussion: in practice, in my example, I do not use the sampler engine for the transient because I use it for the granular sound, so I end up loading samples in the utility engine. In Pigments 4, may we have a sampler 3d engine replace the utility, and remove the sampler from the granular engine? We have 3 of everything, but we have 2 filters, hence we need to provide engines with some filtering as was done for the harmonic. Do I make myself clear?

Thanks for hearing.. by the way, fantastic synth with a lot of unicity  :)

LBH

Re: Add folder for samples in utility Engine
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 08:51:26 pm »
Hi,

For your Utility Engine samples have you tried this:?
Place samples here (Windows): ProgramData/ Arturia/ Samples/ Pigments/  User/ _Noises/ Your folder with your samples/

If you don't find a _Noises folder in the User folder, then try to add a folder with that name - including the underscore.
Inside that folder you can add other named folders with samples as you wish.

An import function and a use samples from other locations function would be nice to have.  Since the new Utillity Engine arrived, i have thought it would come. So let's see.
It would be more user friendly and transparant.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 08:53:35 pm by LBH »

fcarosone

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 01:12:32 pm »
Thanks for helping.
Indeed I could find the _Noises folder there, also under Pigments/User (previously I had written in the _Noises folder under Pigments/Factory).

I placed my sample directly under _Noises initially and it didn't work.
As you write, I have to create at least one directory under _Noises  and place the sample in there for the sample to be seen (in my example I created "UserTransient" dir) and the next time I opened the Utility Engine, it showed the new directory in the left list, under the factory directories.

I love that your suggestion gave me a more tidy "solution" than adding user samples to the factory samples in ProgramData, and I thank you that you second the feature request of adding the user folder functionality in the Utility Engine directly within the interface.

LBH

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 04:58:23 pm »
Your welcome.

Yes the main difference from what you did, and what i suggested was a way to use the User folder instead of the Factory folder for your samples.

And certainly a Utillity Engine functionality like this should not be hidden and difficult to use.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines