March 29, 2024, 02:53:37 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: STOP IT!!!!  (Read 1691 times)

taylor_chris@att.net

STOP IT!!!!
« on: December 29, 2021, 09:37:15 am »
Stop writing Icons to my desktop, this is really starting to piss me off. Every time I get updates (which is more frequent than I am comfortable with) your installer makes a bloody mess of my computer. stop it, I don't want 20 icons barfed all over my desktop every week. At least give me the option to turn that crap off.

LBH

Re: STOP IT!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2021, 04:57:39 pm »
Hi,

It's been a long time since i did this.
But i think you did get that option at initial install.
And i think you also get the option, if you don't run a silent install.
I think the choice will be remembered for next silent install.
Otherwise you can try to use the standalone installer.

It's quite mormal for applications, that you can select to get a shortcut on the desktop or not.
And as far as i recall, i did see that option for Arturia applications too. You just need to need to read the text during the installation.

I suggest you check it all out yourself.

I do think, it would be good, if all install choices could be set in ASC - including this shortcut choice. I hope Arturia will make it possible.
EDIT: It would be even better, if you we could set a path for the shortcuts, if we wan't them installed. EDIT END
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 07:35:12 pm by LBH »

taylor_chris@att.net

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2021, 07:05:46 am »
I'm doing updates, there is no option in the settings to stop ASC from destroying my desktop with so many icons that I can't tell what is what. if I have to UNINSTALL Arturia to get this to stop I'm not reinstalling it. It is a simple fix to add a selection in the ASC settings to not write icons to the desktop on updates. After months of being stalled on projects due to cloud server synchronization issues between my lap and my studio, I'm finally getting back to work and that means cutting out the time-wasting fat. buggy plugins, inconsistent plug-ins, plugins that CHARG for updates,  plugs that break due to updates, they are all going in the trash the only thing that gets to stay is the SOLID reliable stuff. fortunately, Arturia is solid so they get to stay, But I ask ASC to stop making a mess on my desktop. this is a function that should have already been a feature in ASC settings from the get-go anyway.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 10:31:20 am »
I have deleted your other thread about the exact same issue, in the Free Speech area. I get that you are frustrated by this idiosyncrasy (actually so would I be), but no need to post the same thing in multiple areas.

This is definitely a 'Windows thing' and is one of the annoyances I remember well from using Windows machines: way too many app-installers would dump shortcuts on my desktop that I didn't want. It doesn't exist in the Mac world. Sure the Mac has the equivalent of shortcuts, but it's unheard of for app installers to automatically add shortcuts for their apps to the Mac desktop during install or update.

I'm sure this has been raised before, and like LBH said, I thought it was a preference you could choose during the initial install. But not having ever installed Arturia software on Windows computers, I can't comment with experience.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

LBH

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2021, 12:35:26 pm »
I'm doing updates, there is no option in the settings to stop ASC from destroying my desktop with so many icons that I can't tell what is what. if I have to UNINSTALL Arturia to get this to stop I'm not reinstalling it. It is a simple fix to add a selection in the ASC settings to not write icons to the desktop on updates. After months of being stalled on projects due to cloud server synchronization issues between my lap and my studio, I'm finally getting back to work and that means cutting out the time-wasting fat. buggy plugins, inconsistent plug-ins, plugins that CHARG for updates,  plugs that break due to updates, they are all going in the trash the only thing that gets to stay is the SOLID reliable stuff. fortunately, Arturia is solid so they get to stay, But I ask ASC to stop making a mess on my desktop. this is a function that should have already been a feature in ASC settings from the get-go anyway.
In ASC Preferences you can uncheck Silent install. Have you tried to do that, when you update the applications?

I have tried to download a standalone installer to check, and you can select to have shortcuts or not during the install. Just like it normally is, when installing any applications.
I think this may be the same, when you don't use silent install.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines