April 20, 2024, 01:44:29 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: BSP connection problem with Behringer RD-6  (Read 2187 times)

Sociedad

BSP connection problem with Behringer RD-6
« on: December 14, 2021, 11:47:43 am »
Hey there, maybe you can help me.

I am struggling to get the arturia beatstep pro to work with my new behringer rd-6. The behringer rd-6 only has one midichannel as input to work with. I put all drum channels on the beatstep to midichannel 1 but the only thing that is working is the start if i push start on the beatstep. the pattern played on the rd-6 is not the one i programmed on the beatstep and i cant control the different sounds of the rd-6 by pushing the pads on the beatstep. it worked before, when i was using a volca drum, where i had used 6 different midichannels as output on the beatstep.

Any help is appreciated, thanks guys :)

Edit: I programmed the bsp in the media control center`s drum map, where i assigned all 8 possible sounds of the rd-6 to 8 different midinotes on midichannel 1. the pads don`t work and the rd-6 plays it`s own patterns if i push "start" on the bsp
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 03:49:22 pm by Sociedad »

pereirafrederico

• Apprentice
Re: BSP connection problem with Behringer RD-6
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 03:31:31 pm »
Hi,
I am also struggling with midi out from BSP. I can't get the BSP to send midi out via midi cables (only via usb)
So far, what has been suggested as verifications:
1) are you using the original Midi cable adapters (grey)
2) try doing a hard reset
For me these did not solve it.

For your specific case I'd add:
3) check midi in settings on the RD-6, is it setup to receive on midi ch1?

Good luck, and if you find a solution please do share.
Cheers

Sociedad

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2022, 12:16:28 pm »
Hi and thanks for the reply.
I now managed to get the bassdrum working, its making a sound if i press the pad on the beatstep pro, but the rest still won`t work. It doesn`t play the programmed pattern of the beatstep and the other 7 pads still don`t do nothing..
But at least the bass is working, so thanks for the help so far :)

Plop

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2022, 10:34:20 am »
Hi, i don't own a RD6 but i did have TD3 and i had a similar issue (but now it's working fine)
The td3 cannot react to MIDI input if it's playing so when i connect it to the BSP i need to press play on the BSP, then press pause on the TD3 (so the only active sequencer is the BSP)

Also if i play only with the TD3 i just deactivate Transport in Midi control center so i dont have to re-press pause every time on the TD3

Also did you follow those steps on the RD6 ?

SETTING SYNC and CLOCK TYPE :

Step keys 1, 2, 3, or 4 represent clock source INT, MIDI, USB, or TRIG respectively.
Step keys 5, 6, 7, or 8 represent clock rate 1PPS, 2PPQ, 24PPQ, or 48PPQ respectively.

1. Press Function.
2. Make sure no sequence is playing.
3. Press PATTERN GROUP and WRITE/NEXT at the same time to enter Sync setting mode.
4. Selector 1 to 8 LEDs will turn on, and the current clock source (1 to 4) and clock rate ( 5 to 8 ) will flash, you have about 3 seconds to make any changes.
5. Press step keys 1, 2, 3, or 4 to change the clock source to INT, MIDI, USB, or TRIG respectively.
6. Press step keys 5, 6, 7, or 8 to change the clock rate to 1PPS, 2PPQ, 24PPQ, or 48PPQ respectively.
7. Press any other buttons or after no changes for a 3 seconds, the changes are saved.
8. Repeat step 3 to check your selection.

MIDI CHANNEL SELECTION :

Press and hold FUNCTION, then press PATTERN GROUP to enter MIDI channel setting mode, then press STEP KEYS 1-16 to select the channel, press PATTERN GROUP to switch between MIDI transmit
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 10:42:27 am by Plop »

necrosadist

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2022, 05:36:27 am »
I just spent 3 hours with the same issue before giving up and deciding to check the forums.  If it helps anyone who might be wondering:  in controller mode i can hit pads and sounds come out of the pads --> but not the way they're mapped in MIDI Controller!  It seems like some kind of default is being sent but so, for example the pad1 kick drum is mapped and sending to cc36 but the snare is mapped to cc40 but despite that being mapped to pad2 it's coming from pad 6 or 7. 

So after typing all that I went and plugged the RD-6 into a Novation Circuit Tracks, and it seems to be receiving MIDI signals.  On Channel 1.  Which just opened another kettle of fish as I would have sworn I set the RD-6 to receive on channel 4. 

I *think* this is on the RD-6, It's midnight and I'm too worn out to go back and see if I change all the BSP drum parameters to channel 1 if everything will behave as expected.

EDIT:  Went and checked the RD-6 in Behringer's app (Synthtribe) and despite what the unit said, it was defaulting to channel 1.  I changed it to 10, double-checked that the BSP was sending on 10 and it now behaves correctly.  So i can definitively say that it's the RD-6 that's at fault here and the fix is to update its midi parameters with the app.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 02:49:53 pm by necrosadist »

BevanSmith

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2022, 06:28:36 am »
Hi Ya.
Not an expert but I'm pretty sure that the RD-6 can only send and accept midi clock over the 5 pin sockets. So that means no cc data / notes. Therefore you can sync it to a device like my KSP 37 (I checked this) and hit the play button on the outboard sequencer, but the Drum Machine receives no midi data besides the clock. I'm open to being contradicted, but a quick check using Google, the first site I went to confirmed this.
Again not an expert but as you know, you can program the RD-6 using synthtribe, so I checked the same 3rd party site and the synthtribe app apparently does send midi over usb to the 2600 so... speculating here, maybe there is a way for you to program the RD-6 with a device that sends midi over usb. To this end you could try a cheap midi to usb converter at approx. $20. Worth the cost of the experiment? You could try a DAW first e.g. one of the cut down freebie ones  (Ableton Lite, etc.) to see if the RD-6 does accept data from other sources besides synthtribe, before making that investment. [Btw the diagram on page 10 of the RD-6 user manual while technically] correct, is obviously not the whole story so no wonder the confusion.

Look I feel you. I'm a noob and midi is not plug and play. If I could ask one thing of Arturia it would be to include with the BSP, a midi type A adapter. The b and c adapters included do not work with the particular cut price Korg and Roland gear I use and initially not knowing that caused a lot of down time. B.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines