March 28, 2024, 10:34:25 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: What would you like to see in a successor to the microfreak?  (Read 2673 times)

DmAudio

• Apprentice
What would you like to see in a successor to the microfreak?
« on: December 13, 2021, 05:27:08 pm »
I would love to see a freak line born out of the microfreak, much like the brute line. I imagine that's already in arturia's plans, nothing groundbreaking in that idea, but what kind of features would you guys like to see in a successor?

I imagine the plaits oscillators would be dropped, but I think Arturia's been amassing enough original oscillators to have a successful successor sans plaits. I'd be happy with only their original oscillators, but on a successor, I would really like to see two oscillators! The current freak oscillator ui, doubled in a single synth, would be absolutely fantastic.

Additionally, I'd love to take the freak's matrix capabilities and interact with my other gear more extensively, ie, I'd love to see beefed up cv I/O options!

And, though I'm sure we'd all enjoy sixteen voice polyphony at some point, I wouldn't be disappointed to see a more restrained approach from arturia for the freak's second iteration. Price point is part of what is so incredible about the freak, so If they took a more minilogue xd approach to the synth and gave only four to six voices of (true!) polyphony I'd be content.

That's honestly it. I'd be happy with more, for sure, but for a freak successor to really hit the spot for me all I would need to see is true (if limited) polyphony, better cv integration, and a second oscillator. Oh, and legit ADSR envelopes also, at least on the amp!

What would you guys like to see?

csurieux

Re: What would you like to see in a successor to the microfreak?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2021, 08:11:12 am »
More respect to midi standards

C_Huelsbeck

• Apprentice
    • http://www.huelsbeck.com
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2021, 04:19:40 am »
I could imagine a number of successors, MiniFreak (with 3 Octave synth action keyboard and wheels), MacroFreak (8 Voices paraphonic, stereo out with stereo effects section), UltraFreak (Full poly 8 voices with 8 analog filters and effects)...

But what I'm most dreaming of would be a full VST version of the MicroFreak, compatible 100% with the hardware, so that you could make endless patches and use them on many tracks in realtime... we all know Arturia has the chops to replicate hardware synths, why not the MicroFreak? I would pay another 300 to run a VST version alongside my hardware! ;)

Thoracius

• Apprentice
  • Musician, Sound Designer, Music Video Director
    • Thoracius.com
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2022, 02:53:47 pm »
1. A full ADSR envelope, so separate Decay and Release parameters.

2. A nice-sounding stereo effects stage -- reverb/delay, modulation (chorus, ensemble, phaser), EQ

fugit185

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2022, 07:55:40 am »
Bluetooth connection to BT headphones/speakers

pkskySynth

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2022, 11:54:42 pm »
I agree with DmAudio about the true polyphony and a second oscillator and also with Thoracius,

2. A nice-sounding stereo effects stage -- reverb/delay, modulation (chorus, ensemble, phaser), EQ

The MicroFreak really wants reverb and delay and effects. All the great performances I've seen on YouTube include high quality reverb/delay stomp boxes, like the one from GFI. Why spend as much for a reverb as you do for the whole synth?

euklides

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2022, 10:34:14 pm »
Only thing missing is microtuning support 🤓

fOZf8

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2022, 01:56:20 am »
I really like the VST idea...or even a VST that had all the parameters controllable at once.

multi-timbrality...if it's 6 voices make it 6 part multi-timbral with multiple voice allocation modes

an analog oscillator instead of VA, although the VA sounds fine on the freak, it's really crispy like most of the synth's overall sound is. Some thick rubbery analog oscillators with waveshaping, cross mod etc...

more filter modes, like possibly have 2 12db filters that can be run serial or parallel and have more parameters like feedback, saturation, comb filter, formant filter (I know sure theres a formant oscillator, but....)

MOST IMPORTANTLY, as mentioned above, 2 oscillators. I want to be able to stack a wavetable over a modal and be able to have them mix through either or both of the filters individually.

oh and more LFOs! the only reason having just one cuts the mustard is because you also have the looping envelope, but it just isn't the same. Do nothing else to it but add 2 or 3 more LFOs and you've already ramped up the diversity and malleability of the MF like filling it with rocket fuel and aiming towards the stars. Hell, they could add a 2nd LFO to MF right now as it is if they wanted to. I don't care how many weird shift click combos you'd have to do in order to incorporate the new lfo into the mod matrix, it'd give the realism capabilities and humanization a whole new level.

Mr Caillou

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2022, 03:14:36 pm »
2 oscillators
An independent Sub on each oscillator
A glide that can be assigned to the oscilator of our choice
An independent noise with different colors
A ring mod
More “Assign” in the matrix
A line “Master” in the matrix for doing tremolo or weird stuffs on the volume
3 or 4 ADSR envelopes that can be switched to cycle envelopes
3 or 4 LFO
2 filters with the choice of 12, 18 and 24db/oct
Some extra parameters on the filter
Some good FX
8 or more voices
A bigger screen

C_Huelsbeck

• Apprentice
    • http://www.huelsbeck.com
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2022, 04:40:04 pm »
I just saw the announcement of the MiniFreak! Thank you Arturia, you made exactly what I had in mind, down to the fully compatible VST to go along with it! Well done, it's already on my purchase list! :)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines