March 28, 2024, 09:37:03 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: License Registration after returning 49-key and purchasing 61-key  (Read 2258 times)

bcab17

• Apprentice
After much research, I ordered the Keylab MKII from Sweetwater. It comes with the included Ableton Live Lite, Analog Lab 4, and Piano V2 software. There is also a special offer for Mini V, Stage-73V, and REV Plate-140 free plug-ins through the end of this month. PLUS, a Sweetwater exclusive to include the entire V Collection 7. It was all this great software that had a lot to do with my choice of keyboard.

However, they had no 61-key in stock, so I ordered the 49-key. And now I see that it is too small. The Sweetwater folks have no problem letting me upgrade to the 61 when they’re back in stock in January…but since all the “extra” software was included based on a special offer that ends on December 31, they weren’t sure if I would lose access to it when I upgrade the keyboard in January.

So I turn to the good folks here, and to Arturia for some clarification. I have not registered anything yet…not the keyboard nor any of the software. It is my understanding that ALL of the software licenses must be registered to the specific keyboard (at least that’s how I think it works). So, what happens if I register the 49-key and all the software licenses now, then return the 49 (which I assume “unregisters” everything), and purchase the 61 in January (after the “special software offers” have ended)? Do I lose the Mini V, Stage-73V, REV Plate-140 AND the entire V Collection 7…or is there some way that I can retain it?

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: License Registration after returning 49-key and purchasing 61-key
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2021, 09:05:47 am »
It's a difficult one. I'd recommend you email Arturia directly for a definitive answer. You could of course register now using the details from your 49, but the next person who owns the 49 might rightfully steal the licences off you because they will probably want to use the software.

Why not just return it for a refund and buy online from Arturia?
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

bcab17

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2021, 12:49:27 am »
It's a difficult one. I'd recommend you email Arturia directly for a definitive answer. You could of course register now using the details from your 49, but the next person who owns the 49 might rightfully steal the licences off you because they will probably want to use the software.

Why not just return it for a refund and buy online from Arturia?
I have sent this question to Arturia, but in my short experience, they have not been quick to reply. In any case, the V Collection special offer was a Sweetwater exclusive. If I were to purchase the 61-key from Arturia, I would not get software.

So, am I correct that the software registration and licenses are "tied to" the hardware...the specific keyboard's serial number? If that is the case, I'm guessing I will lose it ALL when I return the 49 MK2. So hypothetically, you can purchase an Arturia keyboard controller that comes with several software titles, register the licenses, and if you sell that keyboard five years later, all the software is taken from you?

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2021, 10:53:57 am »
If it's a sweetwater exclusive, that's probably going to be difficult for Arturia to answer. From a good customer service point of view, they should honour their special offer because it's not your fault they don't currently have the 61 in stock.

Yes to your last question. Technically, when you buy a controller which comes with software, they are a combined unit and should also be sold as a combined unit. You could of course sell the controller and advise the purchaser that the sale does not include the software licences. However, usually a quick email (from them) to Arturia along with proof of ownership will have Arturia move the licences to them.

That happened to me about six years ago when I bought my first Arturia controller: a used Keylab 25 (which Arturia no longer make). The seller claimed he 'could not find' the licence documents, but I was pretty sure he just wanted to keep the Analog Lab software which came with the controller. I sent an email to Arturia, attaching a photo of the unit's serial number with a post-it note underneath, upon which I had written my name and email address to prove I really did own the device. Within a couple of days Arturia sent me the licences, and I registered the software under my account. I suspect the seller was pretty p*ssed off when he next went to use Analog Lab and found he no longer had a licence, but I was within my rights: the 'product' in a legal sense is the physical controller plus the software licences that came with it.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

bcab17

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2021, 10:25:04 pm »
If it's a sweetwater exclusive, that's probably going to be difficult for Arturia to answer. From a good customer service point of view, they should honour their special offer because it's not your fault they don't currently have the 61 in stock.

Yes to your last question. Technically, when you buy a controller which comes with software, they are a combined unit and should also be sold as a combined unit. You could of course sell the controller and advise the purchaser that the sale does not include the software licences. However, usually a quick email (from them) to Arturia along with proof of ownership will have Arturia move the licences to them.

That happened to me about six years ago when I bought my first Arturia controller: a used Keylab 25 (which Arturia no longer make). The seller claimed he 'could not find' the licence documents, but I was pretty sure he just wanted to keep the Analog Lab software which came with the controller. I sent an email to Arturia, attaching a photo of the unit's serial number with a post-it note underneath, upon which I had written my name and email address to prove I really did own the device. Within a couple of days Arturia sent me the licences, and I registered the software under my account. I suspect the seller was pretty p*ssed off when he next went to use Analog Lab and found he no longer had a licence, but I was within my rights: the 'product' in a legal sense is the physical controller plus the software licences that came with it.
Thanks so much for taking the time to explain this to a noob. I think I'm pretty much stuck with the 49-key...if I value all the extra free software (especially getting the entire V Collection 7) over the extra octave of the 61-key. The 61 seems to be out of stock everywhere (including Arturia)...supply chain issues or just the holiday rush?

I have reached out to Arturia "sales", "registration", and even "tech". It's been three business days, and I have not received an acknowledgement that my inquiries were received, let alone any answers to my questions. Is this common for Arturia or could it be a case of the busy holiday season and maybe an understaffed team?

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2021, 10:43:47 am »
Likely both. Have you tried asking Sweetwater? It's their deal.

bcab17

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2021, 04:03:41 pm »
Likely both. Have you tried asking Sweetwater? It's their deal.

Yes, Sweetwater has been extremely responsive. In this case, they did not know how upgrading from the 49 to the 61 (when back in stock) would affect the software. They suggested that I ask Arturia, and they seem to be permanently "out to lunch."

Thank you, Major.

normhart2022

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2022, 10:58:46 pm »
Your situation is exactly like mine. Bought 49 key because 61 was out of stock at Sweetwater. Found it wasn't sufficient key-wise and put in a pre-order for the 61 (which I now have). I have the full suite of software registered, upgraded (V Collection 8) and activated. I originally planned on selling the 49 but have decided to keep it as a second controller. I'm curious as to how you resolved your issue.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines