March 28, 2024, 01:43:36 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: absolute beginner  (Read 1226 times)

widespace

absolute beginner
« on: December 07, 2021, 12:57:28 am »
I was blown away finding out music could be generated on a computer, I looked around and found a great stuff here at Artura, and went for Pigments. I don't have a keyboard right now, but I want to get started with a virtual interface like provided in Pigments
I AM TOTALLY NEW to this. I can get into Pigments, play around, but I want to record compositions.  I found out a DAW is how that works.
What I don't know is how a sound generator like Pigments works with a DAW. Any recommendations on choosing a DAW for Pigments? This might be a really dumb question with obvious answer, but like I said I'm a complete beginner.
Another thing I've come across are midi chord and melody packs.  I've seen some video's of people dropping these progressions into a DAW, and composing. Will I be able to work with these resources with an instrument as Pigments?
Any suggestions for tutorials, or even a full scale course for a beginner , greatly appreciated

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: absolute beginner
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2021, 03:45:32 pm »
Welcome.
I was blown away finding out music could be generated on a computer,
It's been mostly done like that for 20+ years.Welcome to the 21st century  :)
As for which DAW, I assume you're PC-based because if you were Mac-based you would doubtless already have come across GarageBand which is an excellent free starter DAW which fully supports most external virtual instruments including all of Arturia's synths.
So with that assumption, I would recommend Cakewalk by Bandlab, which is also free but available on the Windows platform while GarageBand is not.

https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

widespace

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2021, 12:19:47 am »
Thank you. Yea, I'm way behind .. a musician from long ago who put it away in the 90's. I remember the name Cakewalk when friends were going electronic..
I also found an answer to another question I had, which was how Pigments as a synth fits in. I found a Youtube where someone does a tutorial series who walks through setting up instruments, and he mentioned 'virtual instruments'..    So, I'll go into Cakewalk and be setting up a virtual instrument, and presume Pigments will be an available choice.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2021, 12:46:04 pm »
It should be, yes.

Best advice I can give for someone like you starting from scratch is absolutely overdose on those YouTube tutorial videos.

As far as recording-software goes (DAWs), there are of course way more options than Cakewalk. I mentioned Cakewalk because it is free, My personal favourite on the PC is Studio One, the most popular on PCs is probably Ableton Live, while the 'standard' in most studios is the ubiquitous Pro Tools which I assume you must have heard of. However, IMHO, Pro Tools is geared more towards recording and mixing audio than virtual instruments. If I were a musician who primarily recorded live instruments and vocalists, I might have invested in Pro Tools, but considering I'm an 'in the box' kind of guy where pretty much everything I do is via virtual instruments (VSTs), I don't use it. The DAW I use, Apple Logic Pro, absolutely trounces Pro Tools as an environment in which to create music using VSTs. But it's not available for PCs.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

francoise

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2021, 11:05:59 pm »
To MajorFubar suggestions, I would add Reaper, stalinist looking, but fully functionnal and customizable.
And maybe Cubase Elements 11 just a bit more expensive. I owned Cubase 1  :o.

frankerector

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2021, 12:54:30 am »
I would suggest Reaper. Reaper Mania has a tutorial for anything DAW-oriented that you will run up against or anything you want to know to make it run smooth.

I too was new with MIDI. Not recording wavs but MIDI as with EXACTLY PIGMENTS.

I struggled for months contacting Arturia and every forum I could think of.

I watched Your First MIDI Song on Reaper Mania. IT SOLVED EVERY PROBLEM I HAD! In 20 minutes it was solved!

If you want to dig in deep and get there fast get Reaper and watch this video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw4pekLPVys

Reaper is free and if you like it as I did you can buy a copy like I did for 60.00 USD.

Or you can just do it the freeway...

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines