March 29, 2024, 04:01:54 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Next Synths to emulate for VC  (Read 3580 times)

codevyper

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Next Synths to emulate for VC
« on: February 01, 2021, 01:12:38 am »
The synths created so far are great. I've been a VC owner since v2 and love all the adds each version. If I may toss out a few suggestions for VC9 or 8.5, and ones that seem to be severely lacking in the AU/VSTi world without any real representation they would be:

Arp/Rhodes Kroma/Polaris. UVI has a sample based instrument that, while it sounds cool, doesn't begin to do the original justice in terms of its abilities.
Maybe some old Ensoniq stuff like the EDS1/SQ-80/SQ1. I know those are digital wavetable synths and to this point, most of what Arturia has developed have been circuit based replicas that don't require gaining access to wave tables from the original manufacturers. I know trying to do much of the rompler lines would be difficult since Korg or Roland are unlikely to give up their wave tables given they already offer their own VST versions of their 90's+ workstations, but Ensoniq has been out of existence for awhile so perhaps that one would be doable.
I also don't see Akai making any attempt to release their S900/950/1000 series samples in VSTi format. These synths were responsible for the bulk of the 80's and 90's sounds in RnB circles and I would think a welcome addition. Perhaps a treatment of these as well.

Lastly.. As a request on the hardware end of things. I played the KeyLab Essentials 88 at NAMM last year and was very interested in it since it would be far more compact and lightweight for many of the gigs I do, but I can't make use of it if it doesn't contain at least 1 expression pedal input, so I'm hoping for the addition of a couple more pedal inputs on that and please add poly after touch! Man.. Nobody should even build a keyboard controller without at lease some form of aftertouch anymore. And lastly... offer your Keylab essentials in black as well. I had the original KeyLab61 and 88 in white but in many club and theater pit situations, they stand out too much. I know I can get the full Keylab 88 in black but having the essentials in that color also would be awesome. I'd be willing to pay a little more for these added features too.

In any case, this is just my particular wish list. Would love to har other's take on future features. In the meantime, keep up the good work Arturia!

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: Next Synths to emulate for VC
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 09:55:49 am »
I played the KeyLab Essentials 88 at NAMM last year and was very interested in it since it would be far more compact and lightweight for many of the gigs I do, but I can't make use of it if it doesn't contain at least 1 expression pedal input, so I'm hoping for the addition of a couple more pedal inputs on that and please add poly after touch!

The KeyLab 88 (not the Essential) has expression pedal input and aftertouch (not poly though). To be fair they have to differentiate some functionalities between the Essential line and and main KeyLab line otherwise there would be no point in them selling their premium controllers, two of those differences are the expression pedal input and aftertouch.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

codevyper

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 07:16:07 pm »
Hey MajorFubar,

Thanks... Yes I have owned the Keylab 88Mk1 as well as the Keylab 61mk1 before. I do a lot of gigs around town and really don't need the fully weighted keys to get through a simple club gig. Plus the added weight to carry around makes it a little harder to go from gig to gig. So I was attracted to the Keylab Essentials 88 when I saw it at Namm. I realize the need to differentiate price points between the Essentials and the full blown Keylabs. A lot of the time, I need multiple splits to get through a song and sometimes 61 keys won't provide enough real estate for each patch, which is why the E88 is attractive.

Cheers

jdp

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 02:19:48 pm »
Next synth to emulate? My vote would be for the Yamaha CS40M. Much under-rated, in my opinion, and the one quasi-emulation on the market is sample-based, and lacks most of the key features that made the 40M so unique, flexible and powerful (such as the ring modulator, the ability to use different LFO waveforms on each modulation destination, the sine-waves added at the VCA, etc. etc.) I remember seeing Ultravox use one live when I was 13, and thinking, "I must get me one of those;" sending away to Yamaha for the details; and being astonished at the cost: £3,999, as I remember. Years later, when analogue was out and digital was in, I picked one up for £175 - with a CS-01 thrown in! But I never had the chance to get to know it properly before I had to sell it. Anyway, the point is I have an emotional attachment that needs closure, and the only way would be through an emulation. If Arturia were to apply the same thinking as to the Prophet V/VS, it could even switch between the CS20M and C70M as well. And it should be beautiful to look at, which is one of Arturia's strengths, as it was one classy-looking beast.

Tigersharc1

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 07:36:42 pm »
I finally finished signing on with this forum to see if this type of discussion had already been started. I would like to see an emulation of the Alesis Andromeda A6. I personally fell in love with this synthesizer after watching many of Ryan Kelly's video's on YouTube and thinking that has to be in my arsenal of sounds. Unfortunately space is one of the biggest limitations, not to mention the fact that it is discontinued from production. I'm not too sure about purchasing a used one either. Anyway, just my two cents... Alesis Andromeda A6 would definitely be a nice add on for VC9.   

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines