April 18, 2024, 06:54:52 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: PolyBrute Explorations: a patchbank for playful sound design  (Read 4075 times)

modalmixture

• modeswitching
PolyBrute Explorations: a patchbank for playful sound design
« on: November 15, 2021, 11:33:21 pm »
Hi friends,

A few months ago I started making some videos to show off the capabilities of the PolyBrute in the context of short musical pieces called PolyBrute Explorations. I wasn't really intending to make a patchbank, but enough people asked about it that I decided to pull together all the patches from the videos, plus a bunch more of my favorites, into a collection. It's now available here:

https://lwsteely.wixsite.com/modeswitching/product-page/polybrute-explorations-16-patches-for-the-arturia-polybrute

I really like lush evolving pad sounds, and in this bank there are a wealth of them, including some vintage-y ones that taking inspiration from players such as J3PO and Matt Johnson. There are also several examples of lofi keys inspired by CreativeSpiral's ideas on vintage voice modelling, and several types of FM sounds.

Other patches began life by asking, 'What would happen if we modulated all the lfos against each other?" or "How could we simulate a doppler effect/sidechain/tape hiss?" or "What if the ribbon made it sound like time is slowing down?". These are fun to play with, but I also hope they might inspire your own explorations in thinking playfully about sound design.

Here's the PolyBrute Explorations playlist: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfdkqsiwRicOGTHFCq6DaxDdWa7qfO2fn
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 07:44:24 pm by modalmixture »

trackboy44

Re: PolyBrute Explorations: a patchbank for playful sound design
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 08:13:48 am »
Thank you for Posting.

You let the Polybrute shine on another Level.

dominion1

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2021, 01:27:22 pm »
Hi friends,

A few months ago I started making some videos to show off the capabilities of the PolyBrute in the context of short musical pieces called PolyBrute Explorations. I wasn't really intending to make a patchbank, but enough people asked about it that I decided to pull together all the patches from the videos, plus a bunch more of my favorites, into a collection. It's now available here:

https://lwsteely.wixsite.com/modeswitching/product-page/polybrute-explorations-16-patches-for-the-arturia-polybrute

I really like lush evolving pad sounds, and in this bank there are a wealth of them, including some vintage-y ones that taking inspiration from players such as J3PO and Matt Johnson. There are also several examples of lofi keys inspired by  CreativeSpiral's ideas on vintage voice modelling.

Other patches began life by asking, 'What would happen if we modulated all the lfos against each other?" or "How could we simulate a doppler effect/sidechain/tape hiss?" or "What if the ribbon made it sound like time is slowing down?". These are fun to play with, but I also hope they might inspire your own explorations in thinking playfully about sound design.

Here's the PolyBrute Explorations playlist: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfdkqsiwRicOGTHFCq6DaxDdWa7qfO2fn

just want to say thanks for your patches. played them today and totally lost track of time. really inspiring! hope there's more coming :)

larioso

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2021, 06:33:57 pm »
Absolutely lovel patches. Favorite ones would be vinyl prophet and OBX, you want to hug the synth, kind of.

Eric Clapton had what he called "woman tone" on his guitar, these vinyl ones would be that on PB. :)

modalmixture

• modeswitching
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2021, 08:27:37 pm »
Thanks larioso, dominion1, and trackboy, you are all very kind! The vinyl patches are my favorites as I like a warm and cozy lofi aesthetic.

I'm encouraged to do more patches and deep dive videos using the new firmware. I've also been looking at updating the current PB Explorations patches to use the new features - for example, the Vinyl Prophet/OBX patches could make use of the vintage accuracy modes instead of dialing it all in via the matrix. Patches with sidechain effects on Lfo3 will sound better with the new curve shaping ability. If I do this I'll offer it for free to everyone who's bought the patches already.

In the meantime, check out the patches from Diego Tejeida (Dreaded Darkness bank) and Florian Marin (Factory 2.0 bank), they are doing some amazing sound design with the PolyBrute!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 08:39:06 pm by modalmixture »

larioso

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2021, 09:59:22 pm »
Thanks for tip on new F2.0 banks.

I have to read up a bit on PBC first, since I just updated firmware and then did a create project, whatever that is seems to be all presets in all banks. Then  an export of that to disk to have way out of the way as a backup.

I'm sure there are clever ways to transfer just any bank to any bank or something. I have my new stuff in bank 5, so don't want it overwritten.

PB really reels you in, and hard not to stay once sat down....

jiensei

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2023, 02:56:09 pm »
Hello,
I Can't buy your 32 polybrute patchs.
I have an error message on your website when I try to checkout.
Can you help me plz ?

basilb

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2023, 11:29:17 pm »
Yep I get the same problem trying to purchase the patch bank. I've emailed Modeswitching and will post here if I get a response.  :)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines