March 28, 2024, 10:10:57 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Make Pigments free - with a subscription model for downloading presets  (Read 1276 times)

glowy

TLDR: I don't wanna drop $15-$30 for a pack where I only use 5 to 10 of the presets. However, I would definitely pay $10-15/month for a subscription to download 50 presets per month of my choice from any preset pack. Would you?
--
Okay, I know this is technically a feature request, however I wanted to start this discussion in here, because to me this is much bigger than a feature request, it's a suggestion for an entirely different business model and I think it could change the game for Arturia. So here we go...

Being able to buy preset packs directly within Pigments is a nice feature, however, it would be infinitely more useful (and lucrative for Arturia) if users could buy individual presets. Like how with Splice.com you don't have to buy the entire sample library. There's a reason Splice has blown up recently... it's a way better model for producers. Pigments could do the same thing using a subscription model for downloading presets.

I think this could be massive. What do ya'll think?

Me personally, I'm very reluctant to buy preset packs, cause I don't wanna drop $15-$30 for a pack where I only use 5 to 10 of the presets. However, I would definitely pay $10-15/month for a subscription to download 50 presets per month of my choice from any preset pack.

Also, this would vastly improve the preset browsing experience, because suddenly you could rank presets by "most popular/downloaded" and the cream of the crop would rise to the top. This is also what makes Splice.com so powerful and useful to us producers. But Splice isn't good for buying presets, because it isn't integrated with the synths, so installing the presets is just a royal pain.

Seriously, this is your chance Arturia, you're so close and you can corner the market on this one if you get in first. If you don't, I guarantee someone else is gonna do this is in the next couple years and you'll lose the first-to-market opportunity.

If you implements this, I'd bet you a bitcoin Pigments will become the most popular synth on the market within a year. Honestly, you could go ahead and make Pigments free (just without any presets) and then you'd get every producer in the world subscribing to your product for $10-15/month.

Anyway, that's my thoughts... keen to hear what the rest of ya'll think.

PS - Right now, you can only preview like 5 presets within a pack on Pigments before purchasing. With this model I'm suggesting, all presets should be previewable, and Arturia should just implement a "demo mode" for presets you haven't bought yet, where the sound cuts out every so often and you can't change the parameters.

PPS - If you decide to go the route of making Pigments free, make sure that the product still plays sound even when people's subscriptions run out. That's how Output's Arcade works. Your project files still play exactly the same, you just can't change anything in the VST until you renew your subscription. This is the only way to do it... anything else is evil because it holds users' project files ransom and they will resent you for it.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: Make Pigments free - with a subscription model for downloading presets
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 01:02:48 pm »
Welcome.

I guess we all have our own views on this, but frankly I HATE rent-to-own apps. I want to buy them outright. Several high-profile companies have lost my custom because I refuse to migrate to their perpetual-payment rent-to-own schemes, and several others have not gained me for the same reason even though I would like to buy some of their apps (Roland for starters).

So no, and accepting that other views are available, I would not welcome that at all.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

glowy

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 01:08:53 am »
Well how about this: you could still buy the synth outright if you want. And instead of a monthly subscription, you could buy "credit packs" that would allow you to download a certain number of individual presets, instead of having to buy the entire preset pack.

frankerector

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2021, 03:28:32 am »
I also like it just the way it is.

I OWN Pigments. Nobody can take it away or change it.

I OWN Analog Lab IV and Analog Lab V also.

If I like a group of presets I dump the money and get it.

I am also going to OWN the V Collection 8 very shortly.

These can never be taken away.

Keep it just the way it is.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines