November 30, 2021, 06:28:04 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Since there isn't an SQ-80 V forum, yet...  (Read 556 times)

gridsleep

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Since there isn't an SQ-80 V forum, yet...
« on: September 15, 2021, 11:04:23 pm »
I wonder if SQ-80 V makes any use of Siegfried Kullmann's SQ-8L code? Is SQ-80 V the final embodiment of SQ-8L? Or is it a completely new product from zero?

PS--The new SonicState video interview with M. Eduouard Madeuf explains that the latter is the case. Herr Kullmann still retains his source code, so it seems. More power to him, Bigboote.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 05:07:20 pm by gridsleep »

ClydeLymanAgain

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Since there isn't an SQ-80 V forum, yet...
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 07:23:42 pm »
moved from another post

I used to play the original SQ-80 quite frequently, I owned one from '96 to 2000. The thing was a BEAST. Especially for it's time, New, it sold for 2200 UDD. Some here will remember that I lobbied a bit for an SQ-80V. I intned to purchase this one as soon as I have recovered from corneal surgery as my eyesight is not sufficient for me to do critical work a a trustworthy level; sooner if I can catch a break, like tomorrow if I could. I looked it over on YouTube;400 waveforms?! C'est incroyable!!

1. The original was a rompler, not physically modelled, with two kinds of audio waveforms. 1. single-cydle and 2 mult-cycled waves. I believe these were multi-sampled to prevent "chipmunking". This might be useful as it could allow users to add their own samples
2. The Arturia interface looks alien to me, judging from the YouTube vids, so there I things I would like to know. The  audio oscillators allowed for two modulaotrs. This was usefull for creating string ensembles by using two LOF's with  prime number frequencies
3 It could split, layer or split'layer. It also had a "voice overflow" which enabled two units to be connected to provide 16/8 vpoces. With split/layer that  menat, running 4 patche, you were not uptight for voices. For modern use 16 voides would almost be a must.
4. Rainer Buchty, "Mr SQ-80, who hacked the daylights out of it, found a 4th audio oscillator. This along with the "hidden" waveforms, suggests that Ensoniq had intended either an upgrade/update or a follow-on
5. Thee of the envelopes were assignalbe asp part of the "matrix patching"
6. The SQ-80 stored user patches as presets in 3 ways; internal memory by editing  in place pre-existing patches (with factory recall ability), on cartridges, usually EPROM, and on a 3.5 floppy disk. I did not see an reference to storing user patches on the SQ=80V
I used to  create 3-part string onsambles that were layerable to 6 parts and Hammond patches using both baffle and horns. I would like to say a UI that resemblesk the origianl
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 07:43:30 pm by ClydeLymanAgain »

ClydeLymanAgain

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 08:02:23 pm »
I wonder if SQ-80 V makes any use of Siegfried Kullmann's SQ-8L code? Is SQ-80 V the final embodiment of SQ-8L? Or is it a completely new product from zero?

PS--The new SonicState video interview with M. Eduouard Madeuf explains that the latter is the case. Herr Kullmann still retains his source code, so it seems. More power to him, Bigboote.

I had a convo with Rainer Buchty and he was interested in a software SQ-80 and directed persons to th SQ80L,  He also said that Herr Kauffman was not doing further development on it but he was not averse to having it used as the core for a full implementation. I have one and offered it to Arutrua for such a purpose but they declined. I guess you could play it using Savvihost or Cantobile. But Arturia implemented some gain off function measures as they always do, like adding a fully polyphonic mode to the Solina IV and waveform choice to the DX7 operators. Although you might find the SQ80V UI alien if you are very used to the original, but it is a rea wow with live controls. Check it out on YouTube, there are a number of vids. They definitely put it on PED's

ClydeLymanAgain

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 11:19:36 am »
There was another "sq series by Ensoniq. The "SQ-80 was the top of the "ESQ" line. Ths'sq [not lower case]" was something else. From what I could get the voice archetecture was more like the CZ in that the basic unit was a line consisting of one audio oscillator and a set of modulators, of which there were 2

I know nothing of the  EPS line, VFX,ASR and MR Rack and very little of the FIZMO. I imagine that you can get pdf's of the musicians' manuals for them, which will give you insight into them if you understand Ensoniq sound design

The KT/KS, the pdf of the Musicians Manual I have appears to be a mash-up of several formats, six of which can be layered to create a "sound". I find the manual totally intimidating if what I understand is true

inputting "ensoniq soundfonts" into Google will get you a website that sells several sets of sf2 files in the 100 USD range which is great if you have a soundfont player

I remember the release of the Mirage

methodman3000

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2021, 10:28:31 pm »
I bought the sq-80 and have it registered, but I am getting NO SOUND.  The midi connection is correct, but even though keys are being pressed, there is no sound.  The demo worked fine, but I can't get sound from the bought version.  Any ideas?  Thanks.  All the other Arturia instruments work.

ClydeLymanAgain

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2021, 07:16:18 pm »
I took a close look at the SQ80 V and liked what I saw I notice you kind of juped it up to the VFX. I mentioned earlier that it would be great if it could read samples from a folder or iport them like the Emulator II. This would add the Mirage/16+ instruments and be 3 Ensoniqs in 1. The origianal SQ-80 was a sample playback device, using early WAV files locked in ROM. It cost a whopping $2200 in '888 with two user storage methods, cartridge and HDD. I used to create 3 part string ensembles and B3 patches with full baffle and horn leslie. It is just a shame that the instrument had no speed controller for the LFO's so I could  speed it up gradually, for the lower registers I used the filter with modulation for the baffle and for the higher registers, I used the Pan for the horns. I had to make two of each patch, one slow and one fast I looked up the rates for each leslie part and setting. For the strings, I would modulate the frequence of each osc with tow of the LFO's. These I would set to prime numbers like 11, 13, 17, 19 and 23 so there would be now repeating pattern. I forget what my settings for amount of modulation were but the wave was saw, the CF was about 40% and the Res was about 50% to give them a bit of fizz

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines