March 29, 2024, 02:14:17 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Sending MIDI from other controller to Keystep to use Keystep features  (Read 2128 times)

manifo

I've tried connecting the MIDI-OUT of another controller, in this case a Roland A-30, to the MIDI-IN of the Keystep 37, and then sending MIDI to my iPad by USB, but it doesn't look like the signal is passed through or used. I was hoping to use a larger keyboard like the Keylab 88 as an extension of the Keystep, with it's nice scale modes and arp features, but I can't figure out how I would route the signals to achieve that effect.

Is this use-case supported?

Captain_Underpants

Re: Sending MIDI from other controller to Keystep to use Keystep features
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 07:41:54 pm »
I have the exact same problem, and was just about a start a post asking about this.
I'm trying to control the Keystep using my Kawai ES110's MIDI OUT --> Keystep MIDI IN.
No signal passes through when I press the notes in ES110. This is a huge bummer, i wanted to get a sequence running from Keystep and then play some notes freely on top of it using my external keyboard. Looks like this can't be done using the Keystep. (Of course midi through works as expected as it is simply routing the MIDI data from IN to OUT).

Can someone please confirm if this is indeed a missing/absent feature?. I mean, why would you have a MIDI IN and not support playing in notes from a proper Full Size keyboard?  :'(

Being mini-keys it would make sense to accept notes data from external keyboards.

Is this even fixable with a firmware update ? this would be mighty useful, and take the Keystep to another level.
Thanks for answering.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 09:04:50 pm by Captain_Underpants »

quizz_kid

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2022, 10:47:28 am »
I also would like to know if this is possible or not, been searching everywhere without luck. Why have a MIDI IN without function?

noou

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2022, 10:29:34 am »
in MIDI Control Center you can set the MIDI out port to work as a thru. That would pass anything incoming to MIDI in to MIDI out. Would that work for you?

quizz_kid

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2022, 06:30:53 pm »
It would not help no as that would only send midi data straight through and won't make use of the keystep features (seq,arp).

kudamm99

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2022, 02:26:48 am »
Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I've confirmed on my Keystep that the MIDI thru function merges the Keystep's DIN MIDI In with the Keystep's control and MIDI data to the DIN MIDI Out only, not to the USB MIDI Out. This is frustrating because you have to use a second MIDI interface to get a blend of a knob controller, say, and the Keystep's note and clock, when it seems like you should be able to use one USB connection to send it to a DAW. Has there ever been a fix or firmware update?

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines