March 28, 2024, 11:41:37 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Essential 88 laptop desk  (Read 2049 times)

pfrocha

• Apprentice
Essential 88 laptop desk
« on: January 26, 2022, 07:53:30 pm »
Greetings from Brazil

I used to own a Keylab MKII, and loved the laptop desk that you could attach to the keyboard.

Has anyone thought about the possibility of making a 30cm x 11cm desk and drilling a couple of holes on the ESSENTIAL 88 to attach it?

I know the ESSENTIAL back panel is made of plastic (as opposed to the metal back panel of the MKII), but I still wonder if that would be doable?

Thanks!

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: Essential 88 laptop desk
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2022, 10:55:09 am »
You would have to make sure you aren't drilling through any circuitry. Considering that drilling it will invalidate your warranty anyway, have a look inside first before you get the drill out.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Zed Lepplin

• Apprentice
Re: Essential 88 laptop desk
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022, 05:38:50 pm »
I also thought of this a bit, pfrocha. I just got my essential 88 this month, but already my laptop's been sliding around on stage making me a bit nervous. Also had big hesitations about drilling anything directly into the keyboard, so I tried thinking outside the box a bit. I also try to keep a tight budget (which is why I went with essential instead of the MKII in the first place) that said— anything name-brand, or pre-assembled is out of the picture for me unless I'm getting it secondhand.

I actually saw the attached screenshot on Reverb.com and was inspired to make something similar for my essential 88. (link to hosted image if you aren't logged in to the forum: https://ibb.co/Zm55HhC)

Might not be exactly what you had in mind, but this is just a simple DIY wood casing idea, with a slanted platform on top for the laptop or any extra gear. (With a guard at the bottom so it doesn't slide onto the actual keyboard). Of course it would need to be sized according to the 88 key specifications.
If you want something more simple that takes up less space (and closer to the MKII design), you can always just build a more fitted wood casing without the extended laptop surface, and just add a 20"x4" wood panel (or something) to the back-right side of the keyboard, attached via a door hinge to let you fold it up and down for when you want to put your laptop on it.

I plan on building something like what is seen in the picture I attached, and even thought of grabbing some mid-century style tapered furniture legs, similar to the ones they sell for the MKII, but for much cheaper (Since arturia sells them for $200+). I saw you can buy the legs for like 8 dollars a piece Lowes.com, then you can get a set of 4 angled leg mounts for 10 dollars on amazon. Then, sand and stain everything and boom money saved. Then I can just drill those into the bottom of the wood casing.

It's all just an idea at this point. Hope it at least sparks an idea for you and you're able to achieve what it is you're imagining!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 06:02:30 pm by Zed Lepplin »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines