March 28, 2024, 07:19:49 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Sync Issues  (Read 1813 times)

iamthehuman

Sync Issues
« on: October 26, 2021, 08:46:23 pm »
I've looked through the manual, pro tools forums, etc and I can't figure it out.

When I play back midi from pro tools into the matrix brute (connected via USB), the matrix brute plays EARLY (by about 2900 samples). It makes trying to write and arrange really tedious because of having to move things around constantly for playback and arrangement.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your time guys.

Processaurus

Re: Sync Issues
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2021, 11:36:53 pm »
Hi there, no experience with Pro Tools but I’d had the same problem with other DAWs. There is some compensation that has to be set up by the user for the midi and audio to be tight with the grid timeline of the DAW. There’s actually two nested issues, audio latency and midi latency.

Audio latency has to be addressed first, there’s some adjustment to be done as far as where overdubs get placed on the timeline, they can be a little ahead or behind from when they were performed. The setup to calibrate it is to do a “loop back”, where you route an audio output back to an input, and play the metronome out of the output while you record the input. You zoom in on the recorded audio and see how the waveform of each metronome click match up with the timeline, and compensate for it in the global audio settings until it’s right on.

After the audio is coming in reliably on the timeline at the time it was performed, the midi latency can be addressed, by playing out a sequence that has been quantized to the grid and adjusting the global midi settings to compensate. Some DAWs you can set a different midi latency per midi port, so you may be able to set it just for the Matrixbrute midi port (if you are using the USB plug). You should be able to get it where the midi basically fires a little early, and by the time it gets through the system and makes a sound on the Matrixbrute, it is right in time with the song/grid. Same goes for the midi clock, the daw should send it a little ahead of time so that the sound the keyboard produced is right on time, rather than flammed.

It’s a subtle problem that I think affects a lot of musicians with hardware synths, the timing can be shifted easily by all of the variables in the computer system.

iamthehuman

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2021, 12:24:42 am »
But my issue isn't that the audio is late. The audio is EARLY. I've never experienced early midi before. I know how to adjust for late audio and such, but for some reason, no idea how to fix early midi data. I think pro tools is sending the midi data early to compensate, when it doesn't actually need to send it early? That's the best way I can describe it.

Processaurus

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 06:24:24 am »
Yes the compensation should be able to go both ways. If protools can look ahead firing the midi data, it can also delay it, just a matter of getting into the settings. It sounds like it’s overcompensating for the midi latency. Sometimes with those settings you just type a “-“ before the number to flip offset from early to late or vice versa.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 06:31:51 am by Processaurus »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines