March 28, 2024, 11:35:01 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Differences 88mk1 with 88 mk2  (Read 4478 times)

Stefanocps

Differences 88mk1 with 88 mk2
« on: August 26, 2021, 03:19:53 pm »
Help, i'm looking ti buy and 88 controller and i have come down to Arturia as it seems the best. I see the mk2.is much more expensive than the original version. Can you tell me the differences? I am going to use it only with cubase and vst, with daws in general.
Thanks

Let me clarify...i read somewhere a list of differences but i cannot tel how worth is the difference
For me size is important, and the mk1 seems smaller. Also keyaction is important, and mk2 seems better...how much?since few months i have an upright piano, so when i want to PLAY i use it, arturia will be only for daw, but i don't want a bad keybad, being used to a piano. I don't need those many extra controller and input of mk2, and at same time i read lots of issue, in general, with mk1.
Price difference is huge, so i really want to understand how worthy is...

i have discovered that there 3 model (it looks like)

the keylab88
keylab 88 essential
keylab 88 mk2

so for what i undesrtand, the keylab mk2 is the replace of keylab 88, while the essential is anothe rline..right?
so i am referring to the essential which is the cheaper and the smaller...what are the differences to the other 2 models?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 01:35:34 pm by Stefanocps »

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: Differences 88mk1 with 88 mk2
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 02:33:08 pm »
Welcome.

I see the mk2.is much more expensive than the original version.
Actually the price of the mkI and MKII is not very different especially if you include inflation. I think you're getting confused between these and the cheaper Essential line.

The mk1 and mk2 use same Fatar TP/100LR keybed, While there may be isolated incidents of 'Friday afternoon' reliability issues on these premiun piano-weighted keybeds, generally their reliability is very good. However be aware that the keybed does not have an escapement mechanism.

On the other hand the much cheaper Essential version uses what Arturia calls a 'hybrid synth-piano feel' keybed. We can read between the lines that this probably isn't going to feel as much like a piano as you would ideally like if you are a pianist, though I haven't myself used it.

The MkII Keylab controllers have better DAW integration than the mkI's did, at the expense of some low-level flexibility, such as being able to set the minimum and maximum velocity ranges on the percussive pads. Why they did this is anyone's guess.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Stefanocps

Re: Differences 88mk1 with 88 mk2
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 03:39:05 pm »
is the 88 essentials keybead the same as the 61 essentials? because while i know the fatar 100..i cannot find to test a 88 essentials

A part of the keyboard and the less slider/knob of the essentials (and different daw integration)..are there any major differences?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 03:41:11 pm by Stefanocps »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines