March 28, 2024, 08:47:24 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Beatstep and USB MIDI host (DoReMIDI UMH-10)  (Read 2708 times)

Bernhard

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Beatstep and USB MIDI host (DoReMIDI UMH-10)
« on: August 04, 2021, 03:56:11 pm »
Hi,

Anybody got a working MIDI input & output for the Beatstep via a USB-MIDI-host box?

I've tried the DoReMIDI UMH-10, and the Beatstep is on its compatibility list.... but no action here, no red lights flashing, does not seem to work.

Curious to your experiences, also for other USB-host boxes.

According to this clip it should work... https://youtu.be/YIXpWT4kARY

Thanks/Bye
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 03:58:56 pm by Bernhard »

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
Re: Beatstep and USB MIDI host (DoReMIDI UMH-10)
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 05:02:35 pm »
I actually have a similar box from miditech but I never thought of trying it with Beatstep because Beatstep already has a MIDI DIN out adapter.

Before I try with mine (need to rewire some stuff to make both units available for this test) I really need to ask:
 Why are you using such a box with Beatstep if it already supports DIN out (through the included cable adapter) ?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 05:17:09 pm by Koshdukai »

Bernhard

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2021, 01:49:10 pm »
Why are you using such a box with Beatstep if it already supports DIN out (through the included cable adapter) ?

Hi, it's to be able to clock/sync the Beatstep to other stuff via the DIN 5-pin MIDI-input.

In case you'll be trying, thanks already. I assume it'll work fine, since I also saw the DoReMIDI UMH-10 working fine in the posted YouTube-clip.... but as it happens my UMH-10 doesn't (but it works fine with other controllers, so it's still a bit of a mystery)

Bye!

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2021, 01:55:05 pm »
to clock/sync the Beatstep to other stuff via the DIN 5-pin MIDI-input.

ah ok, well, then I can already tell you that my miditech box won't do it either because it doesn't do clock passthru, unfortunately :(

Bernhard

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2021, 03:52:38 pm »
to clock/sync the Beatstep to other stuff via the DIN 5-pin MIDI-input.

ah ok, well, then I can already tell you that my miditech box won't do it either because it doesn't do clock passthru, unfortunately :(

Ah OK, I see, bummer that box doesn't do that. Thanks for the response here anyway!

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2021, 10:29:08 pm »
Well, I tried it anyway and... IT WORKS! I'm kinda surprised because not supporting MIDI Clock was exactly the downside if this miditech box in the reviews. Maybe they updated the firmware and I was lucky enough to get one of the new ones :D

Anyway, it did work, as long as you don't forget to turn the "Ext.Sync" button ON ;)

PS: With further testing, I see that the Miditech doesn't support Clock on MIDI DIN OUT but does for MIDI DIN IN (go figure !?)

PS2: More testing I see there must be an issue with this Miditech when there's incoming MIDI Clock from the USB. It works after power on but it stops working after a while.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 12:54:03 am by Koshdukai »

Bernhard

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2021, 06:09:04 pm »
Well, I tried it anyway and... IT WORKS! I'm kinda surprised because not supporting MIDI Clock was exactly the downside if this miditech box in the reviews. Maybe they updated the firmware and I was lucky enough to get one of the new ones :D

Anyway, it did work, as long as you don't forget to turn the "Ext.Sync" button ON ;)

Nice! Good news!
I assume you use it then with some clock from certain source going into the Miditech-MIDI-IN  and then by USB into the BeatStep (with Ext.Sync on) and then the BeatStep properly follows the incoming tempo, right?

PS: With further testing, I see that the Miditech doesn't support Clock on MIDI DIN OUT but does for MIDI DIN IN (go figure !?)

Hmm, no idea why they let not ripply the clock fully through...
So I figure you'd then need a MIDI-Thru box put between the clock-source and Miditech to have an additional clock available for the additional device that wants to be clocked. Hmm, more hassle...

PS2: More testing I see there must be an issue with this Miditech when there's incoming MIDI Clock from the USB. It works after power on but it stops working after a while.
Oops, bummer!

Curious though, apart from clocks, ... do the Miditech USB-host + BeatStep work properly together for other MIDI-messages, like Notes, and Program Changes?   ... an also _keep_ doing that after a while?

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2021, 06:44:25 pm »
I only tried for a while and everything works fine except when MIDI Clock is sent to the Miditech USB port, that's when it hangs and stops working.

There's no issues with it from DIN to USB, not even MIDI Clock crashes it, which is good when that's what's needed.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 08:47:26 pm by Koshdukai »

Bernhard

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2021, 11:57:45 pm »
Bummer the MIDItech does not properly do all clocking tasks, but good to hear it does handle he rest properly.

W.r.t. the DoReMIDI, I'll need to get in touch with them stll, since what does work in their YT-clip doesn't work here.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines