April 25, 2024, 11:01:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Conflict Between PolyBrute Connect and Some MIDI CC Controls  (Read 2154 times)

TheAndyMac

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Conflict Between PolyBrute Connect and Some MIDI CC Controls
« on: August 24, 2021, 10:19:10 am »
This set of bugs was reported some time ago to support but thought worth sharing in case others hit the same issue

It seems as if PolyBrute Connect is interfering with the CC3 (Morph knob) signal on the MIDI channels.

If you want to have e.g. a split patch with, e.g. a sequence on the lower part with the Morphee control set to the sequencer (ratcheting) and using the Morph knob (which gets sent as CC3) on the upper part, you will either be able to record/play back the Morphee control actions if you are connected via PolyBrute Connect OR record/play back the Morph knob changes if you are NOT connected via PolyBrute Connect (i.e. direct MIDI only). The testing I did around this shows the following symptoms:
  • With the tracks all setup using PolyBrute Connect PLUS direct MIDI tracks to try to capture everything, when PolyBrute Connect is active the CC3 (or any automation) is not being recorded for the Morph knob!
  • If recording JUST using PolyBrute Connect as an instrument, much works OK but keyboard split information is not handled correctly – and the Morph knob is not being recorded at all
  • If recording JUST the MIDI inputs either before adding the PolyBrute Connect instrument or having removed the PolyBrute Connect plugin (disabling does not help) then CC3 gets recorded correctly
  • If CC3 has been successfully recorded in “just MIDI” setup (3 above) and then add PolyBrute Connect to capture ratcheting using the Morphee, the CC3 signal is not acted on at all (although it is still there in DAW)
I also noticed that PolyBrute Connect does not honour keyboard split information/channels correctly – currently in PolyBrute Connect when playing on the lower part of the keyboard in the app/plugin (when setup in split mode) it sends out notes on the MIDI channel for upper split (in my case Channel 1) rather than the MIDI channel set for the lower split (in my case Channel 2) and it also responds the same when being used as a plugin with the MIDI notes recorded, so that any lower keyboard split information recorded in the DAW on the track for PolyBrute Connect are sent out on the upper channel instead!
I therefore believe there are two issues that need to be investigated further and fixed – and there may be a combination of changes/fixes/enhancements to PolyBrute Connect AND to the PolyBrute firmware. It does seem as these issues are present both in the standalone app and the plugin:
  • PolyBrute Connect should NOT stop CC3 messages coming across the MIDI channels (or have this switchable in PolyBrute Connect settings or the firmware)
  • PolyBrute Connect should be able to also present automation for the Morph knob out to DAWs such as Cubase – and not just rely on using the Morphee to achieve this (as you can’t have the Morphee doing ratcheting and Morphing)
  • PolyBrute Connect plugin should be able to record ALL midi events including CC3 (or relevant automation) to a single track (which can then be processed/split if necessary) in a way that it can be simply played back correctly with any keyboard splits
I am hoping that this is being investigated and will be fixed in the next set of updates (soon, please Arturia).

ArtfulDodger

• Apprentice
Re: Conflict Between PolyBrute Connect and Some MIDI CC Controls
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2022, 11:42:27 pm »
To my knowledge this has not been fixed as I am having the same problem right now.

In my case, automation midi data is not being recorded or even adjusted for the morph knob.

Can Arturia please help on this?

Daniel Rebel

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2022, 04:14:56 am »
Chiming in here. The Morph functionality is THE most important part of Polybrute, why is it not recorded? Currently, it‘s only possible to use the Morphée for morphing, which then can‘t be used as matrix controller. Or you can leave PBC and record midi only, but then again you are not able to use the Morphée as matrix controller, because while it‘s being recorded nicely, the Polybrute doesn‘t respond to the received midi data when played back.

In other words: in terms of midi recording, it‘s either morph, or matrix. Obviously, performing on the Polybrute in most cases involves BOTH. Moreover, this seems to be such an easy fix, as everything is being recorded - only not all in the same mode. Please, Arturia, this is a very fundamental issue in my opinion.

Shoug

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2022, 09:49:14 pm »
I just got a PolyBrute this late December (for Christmas) and after downloading Connect I noticed that I can't automate the Morph functionality at all. As others have said, this is probably the most important knob to be able to automate, it's the magical heart of the entire device, the super-macro that I would most like to automate with Connect. Seems like a major oversight to me. I'm only posting on this thread with the hopes of perhaps bumping it and getting it more attention.

StudioDeutz

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2023, 03:31:31 pm »
Shoug, is the PB running on the latest OS?

No issue here.

Shoug

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2023, 09:56:00 pm »
Shoug, is the PB running on the latest OS?

No issue here.

What do you mean by OS? Are you talking about my computer's OS? Or, like, the actual PolyBrute's? Are you saying I may need a firmware update or something? Where would I find something like that?

StudioDeutz

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2023, 03:15:08 pm »
OS of the PolyBrute: Settings > 8.Misc > 6.FW Version

The Firmware (I called it OS - sorry) should be 2.0.0.747 for latest available version.
- Check options online for update - "Arturia Software Center" and "PolyBrute Connect" must be running and a registered account.
- Or, download the FW and upgrade yourself via :
--- https://downloads.arturia.net/products/polybrute/firmware/PolyBrute_Firmware_Update_2_0_0_747.pbf

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines