March 28, 2024, 04:41:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: MatrixBrute is it worth to buy it ?  (Read 2023 times)

wulisu

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
MatrixBrute is it worth to buy it ?
« on: August 17, 2021, 08:49:47 am »

Hi guys
 I hope with your experience and knowledge,  you will be able to help me.
I have been watching all tutorials, video's etc. I like MatrixBrute so much , specially the Matrix and how beautiful synth MB is.
But..I have seen lots of complaints about MatrixBrute. I don't know maybe the  first revision of this MB had some general issues?
We can buy used MB in very good condition for 1100-1200£ in UK . So I was thinking about buying one.
What do thinking guys ?
 Let me give you more details about my actual setup:
I used Native Instruments maschine mk3 with NATIVE INSTRUMENTS KOMPLETE 13 ULTIMATE collectors. I have a midi keyboard good keybed with after touch. I used my piano Roland fp60 if I needs to play some pianos sound or connecting  with computer to get amazimg piano sound .
I'm worried about some issues of MatrixBrute and unfortunately Arturia as a company never had a good customer service.
I'm also thinking about Behringer 2600 which is nice  and can be  easily connect with my keyboard.
But of course MatrixBrute is unique and beautiful standalone synth .
What do you think guys , what's your thoughts?  I'm really appreciate for any feedback.
Thank you
Regards

« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 11:41:47 am by wulisu »

Processaurus

Re: MatrixBrute is it worth to buy it ?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 07:27:06 am »
I think it’s a great synth. I ended up with the brute because I had full analog synths (like pre midi) that couldn’t do midi sequencing, or midi automation of the knobs, or sync the LFO’s. I dabbled with some modular synths and hated that I couldn’t save the sounds, and it took hours to put something interesting together, and deciphering a rats nest of wires to know the routing. The Matrixbrute is like a classic synth with modern solutions to all of those shortcomings. Other high end synths have similar depth to their mod matrix, but it’s all buried in menus and fiddly to set up a source and destination- all to say the Matrixbrute is my favorite because you can see everything that is going on with a sound on one big page. No menus, no hidden stuff to keep in your head.

I wouldn’t buy it for the sequencer, because there is no pattern chain or gate time variation, or “smart”/key specific transpose, and it’s pretty robotic and repetitive sounding, but I do like it with short patterns that can be transposed and still be in key, or the matrix arp, which is really cool to play like an instrument, feeding it chord changes.

It is easiest to get raw, aggressive sounds, but I’d say it also excels in classic, moog cookbook type sounds, and modular sounds, sound effects, sound design. It is not impressive for anything pad-like, the paraphonic stuff is pretty pathetic compared to even a basic polysynth like a Juno 106. I think of it more as “synth” than “keyboard”, where the emphasis is on the knobs and modulation, sound design, over piano playing.

I love the stuff they added with the V2 update, the expanded mod slots and the custom LFO shapes you draw. Other people have reported some issues with midi sync in certain setups, but it has been quite workable for me, hooked in with the computer DAW. Can’t speak of customer service because I never had an issue. Build quality is nice, keys are decent, knobs feel good. It’s unusually heavy, because of the metal construction and the panel that tilts up, worth it, but it could be trouble for a little/slight person who plays out a lot, I think they would want a rolling case.

The Moog Sub 37 is a similar synth, analog with digital control, littler, but I like the Matrixbrute because of the emphasis on the mod matrix, and everything being on the panel. More open to sound design. I wrote a lot there, but it’s something I’ve thought about a lot, looking for the right synth for exploring classic synthesis. Plenty of nice synths out there, especially in the $1000+ range, but this is one of them, and I think it is superior to any retro, full analog (no presets, no midi sync), especially integrating into a computer setup.

wulisu

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2021, 08:55:43 am »
Thanks for your opinion . I wonder if would be possible to create a beat on my maschine mk3 and send it to MatrixBrute by midi an audio ? Would be possible to used the filters and other parameters ditectly from MatrixBrute?  Or send the Arturia pigment sound into MatrixBrute?  Thanks
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 09:02:36 am by wulisu »

Processaurus

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2021, 04:44:02 am »
Thanks for your opinion . I wonder if would be possible to create a beat on my maschine mk3 and send it to MatrixBrute by midi an audio ? Would be possible to used the filters and other parameters ditectly from MatrixBrute?  Or send the Arturia pigment sound into MatrixBrute?  Thanks

Sure, the external input lets you process with the filter, VCA, and effects. Just the filter on its own isn’t totally whelming, but if you can pair in the midi from the source you can get some unique effects with the envelopes, sequencer (like using just the mod lane for mod loops or random order steps but with just  a few values), and doing modulations to the BBD effects.

I’ve messed a little with piping in soft synths, some of it sounds great, some not so much. Piano sounded pretty crappy, but FM synth was great, blended with the analog oscillators. Bright sounds are good, so the filter has something to chew on. The Matrixbrute is really cool as a percussion synthesizer, like running a drum machine but using the midi to trigger it as a piece of the kit. Not so much static sounds, it’s hard to compete with a good sample library, but evolving synth percussion on the MxB, it’s easy to get something cool sounding.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines