April 20, 2024, 08:04:01 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Kelab 49 suffering from lots of high keys  (Read 1956 times)

mrz80

• Apprentice
  • The carpet is plush!
    • Welcome to The War
Kelab 49 suffering from lots of high keys
« on: August 15, 2021, 10:41:51 pm »
I picked up a used Keylab 49 for $[too low to mention :) ] with the understanding that it had a couple of "high keys".  Alas, a couple more broke loose just unpacking the thing from the (very thorough) packing job the seller did, and a couple more broke as I was removing the keybed from the unit. I glued back together the bushings that I still had, but apparently the 'board had been opened before I bought it, and several of the broken bits of bushing were gone.  I"ve since figured out a way to make and install new bushings that *won't* break off, but it's going to be a long, labor intensive process. I checked with Arturia, and alas, they no longer have any replacement keybeds for the OG Kelaybs. :( I've considered picking up another Nektar SE49 and seeing if I couldn't adapt its keybed to work in the Arturia.  Anyone else looked at just replacing the keybed outright instead of trying to repair/upgrade it?   
Network geek with a passion for turning every scrap of lumber into Les Pauls and Telecasters

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: Kelab 49 suffering from lots of high keys
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2021, 03:00:40 pm »
Pretty sure the keybed is bought-in, I highly doubt Arturia are actually building them. If I recall correctly from the one time I had to disassemble mine, the actual manufacturer's name is on the keybed circuitboard.

You would imagine there is some kind of standard wiring-matrix for keybeds, but I really couldn't say if one OEM's keybed will be a direct replacement for another. It's possible you will be able to cobble together some kind of Frankenstein affair with the keys from a different keybed and the circuitboard from the original, but I don't know for sure.

You'll discover there is a second narrow ribbon cable connected by a two-pin connector. This is for the aftertouch.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

mrz80

• Apprentice
  • The carpet is plush!
    • Welcome to The War
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2021, 03:50:58 pm »
You'll discover there is a second narrow ribbon cable connected by a two-pin connector. This is for the aftertouch.

Yeah, when I had it partially disassembled, it looked like it'd be pretty easy to gently peel off the aftertouch sensor strip and transplant it if the wherever-it-comes-from new keybed either doesn't have the feature or supports it differently.  My primary donor candidate would be to pick up another Nektar SE49, since it's a really solid-feeling keybed, and it's less than 80 bucks new. I just haven't worked up the courage yet to disassemble the one I've got to see how suitable it'll be. Maybe after Christmas.
Network geek with a passion for turning every scrap of lumber into Les Pauls and Telecasters

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2021, 09:35:07 am »
Good luck  :)
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

mrz80

• Apprentice
  • The carpet is plush!
    • Welcome to The War
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2022, 07:37:33 pm »
In a remarkable new development, I was contacted by Arturia Tech support. I was informed that they *do* still have some OG Keylab keybeds available, for a not-too-bad-even-with-shipping-Stateside price. So I dropped the appropriate number of monetary units on them via Paypal, and Arturia will ship me a new keybed this weekend.  Happiness is!  :D

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines