April 19, 2024, 07:02:52 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Sounds overload...Distort and break up  (Read 1339 times)

AlVal

• Apprentice
    • Alain Valodze Music
Sounds overload...Distort and break up
« on: July 21, 2021, 12:12:27 pm »
Hi
any help appreciated
using Keylab mk 2
Mac
using Spitfire and east west samples in Reaper
Presonus interface midi in/out

its hard to know where the issue lies but guessing (?) its the Keylab as this doesn't seem to occur with an older Alessis keyboard
once the sounds, East west/Spitfire are loaded into a single track in Reaper within a short time the sounds/samples tend to overload, distort and break up requiring a shutdown then restart
not practical for live use
this happens either with the midi in/out to the pre sonus or using a simpler USB set up

the keyboard is new to me so still trying to work and learn with it
but unable to resolve this issue

any clues...hints...settings...advice?

any response appreciated
and
thank you in advance

best

Thoughts have words, feelings have voice, words have forms, voice has soul.

LBH

Re: Sounds overload...Distort and break up
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 04:00:31 pm »
Hi,

A midi controller only sends out midi data. If you exsperience an audio issue when using a Keylab and not when using a Alesis controller, then it's because the midi values send out from the 2 controllers is'nt the same. There can be different reasons for this like how velocity and aftertouch works and respond on the 2 controllers.

I don't know what you mean by the sound "break up". But the distortion can be because an output level is set to high, or something else is getting a too high input level. This can be anywhere in the audio chain.

If in example your Alesis controller does'nt have aftertouch like the Keylab MK2 has, then perhaps it even can be about a CPU overload/ latency issues, if aftertouch messages actually affect your instrument to use more CPU ressources. Or perhaps you have different velocity curves or sensisivity on the two controllers. But there is nothing wrong in any of this.

I suggest you check your audio chain to see if anything is over 0 db and if so adjust that. Also check that a CPU core is'nt overloaded and if so adjust the soundcard settings or other settings, that you might have for this.

I assume the velocity and aftertouch does work on your controller, as you don't mention anything about that.

AlVal

• Apprentice
    • Alain Valodze Music
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 04:14:39 am »
Thanks again...LBH

will continue but thats helpful

by breaking up...it is not a gain issue
given we use string pads a lot its almost as if as the pads build up and are unable to cope with the information
it maybe a CPU usage from our MacBook
today will try the PC to see if its resolved but ultimately looking at a laptop for live performance

and sorry for any tech speak vagueness...terms and descriptions
to be honest its a bit beyond me until I can process the info...

appreciate the response

onwards
Thoughts have words, feelings have voice, words have forms, voice has soul.

LBH

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 01:10:17 pm »
Your welcome.

It's hard to describe an audio issue. If needed - it's possible to attach a audio file to a post.

But distortion, crackling, dropouts and so on are ususally about overload of CPU or to high levels somewhere in the audio chain. Or defect cables and/ or connections, but then it should also be audioble, when using other controllers. But you can check the cables and the connections too - especially for your Keylab.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 01:12:31 pm by LBH »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines