March 28, 2024, 02:11:03 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Arturia The ONE (boxed) - I think I just bought the last sealed copy...  (Read 4567 times)

jtkerry

• JT Kerry
  • Apprentice
Hi all,
I did something crazy and bought a New In Box copy of 11 year old software.  Ha! I guess it will put to the test what I can do as a PC Tech with 30 years of experience (day job).  And, I came into some money, an award for 20 years hard labor as an End User Support Tech, and went shopping at Sweetwater Sound.

After not touching a synth in 30 years, I bought a Behringer DeepMind 12 and a Moog Werkstatt-01 (single Oscillator synth you have to assemble) and a Keystep Pro that I patch the Werkstatt into as a controller.  My main instrument is the guitar (13 yrs.) and I play rhythm guitar in a band.  My band automatically wants me to be using this stuff, so they put me to the task of playing the lead-in song to Jet Airliner (Steve Miller Band) called Threshold. 

I'm finding that it will take at least 2 full synths to pull it off.  I started investigating software that I could use with the Keystep and downloaded Ableton Live.  Arturia had an discount offer for Analog Lab V - and there was the hook.  Then I started searching for the Keyboard modules and found this copy of "Arturia The One" NiB - stating that I could test the keyboards for 15 days instead of 20 minutes, before I choose the one I want to license and bought it not realizing how old it was.  When I did find out, well that boat has sailed.  I avoided the 90% off places on the web - too good to be true means pirated software, and I want to be able to update and patch because artistic software always needs fixing and tweaking. The Chinese Ali - sites and one site with a PO Box in New York, but its support emails are from Slovakia were avoided.

I joined the forum to see what issues there would be with it, knowing, as a tech, there are always problems with software.  It seems mainly licensing issues.  I hope it will still be valid and usable.  I can make the software work, but want to be legal about it.  Plus, I want to truly test the synths before picking "The One".  20 minutes is too short a time, especially when you are still getting your bearings on using the equipment - that is probably my only complaint about Arturia, as a keyboard newbee - not enough time to test the software thoroughly to know what you want.  That's it for now.

JT
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 09:18:03 pm by jtkerry »
JT Kerry
St. Louis, MO USA
Guitars and Keyboards are like potato chips - you can't have just one...

jtkerry

• JT Kerry
  • Apprentice
I just received The One (boxed) yesterday.  And, opened the shrink wrap without thinking.  I wanted to take a picture of it still in its plastic. But here it is:

(See below.)

I will install it soon.  Hopefully without too many issues.
Regards,
JT
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 10:31:40 pm by jtkerry »
JT Kerry
St. Louis, MO USA

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Shame you didn't leave it sealed. It's obsolete software and really of only value to collectors, and was worth more sealed.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

jtkerry

• JT Kerry
  • Apprentice
So you are saying this isn't usable software?  Well, I'm going to try it anyway.  Can't hurt at this point.
JT Kerry
St. Louis, MO USA

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Well like you said it's 10 year old software.

I'm trying to say nicely in a roundabout way that unless you got this for literally pennies you were screwed-over into buying obsolete software which even if it does work is definitely not being patched.

All the VSTs have been replaced with superior updated versions, except Brass which was end-lifed and is no longer supported.

The modern equivalent of this box is V Collection, currently up to V8. Honestly the best thing you can do with this is return it and ask for your money back.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

jtkerry

• JT Kerry
  • Apprentice
Yes MajorFubar,  but the versions of the individual products has not gone to a dramatically higher version.  The Modular V is version 3.  The Mini is v3. Same with the Prophet, the CS-80 and the Arp 2600.  The Jupiter 8 is v4.  This software doesn't offer the Collection V selection of software devices, but as individual products, one of which I can choose, there is a definite upgrade path.  And, I scrolled through those patches, the Mini V v3 is just a patch upgrade the way it reads.  When I look at the software, all of them read as version 2 - all 6 of the software instruments.  So, the ONE I choose should still be valid. 
So, as I said.  We shall see.
Regards,
JT
JT Kerry
St. Louis, MO USA

jtkerry

• JT Kerry
  • Apprentice
Re: Arturia The ONE (boxed) - I think I just bought the last sealed copy...
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2021, 12:05:26 am »
Well, after much hemming and hawing, and troubles getting the software to allow me the 15 days to test, I made a decision and chose one - the ARP 2600 .  It activated flawlessly and with the most recent version V3 (with installs up to 5 devices).  I was surprised.

In that time, since my last post, there was a sale in August and I purchased the Moog Modular V3 and the Pigments V3.  I am learning the most from the Moog Modular and now on the Arp 2600 - they are very similar.  And the sounds are amazing.

Kind regards to all!
Staysafe and healthy -
JT
JT Kerry
St. Louis, MO USA

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines