March 29, 2024, 06:31:24 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: SPECIFICALLY How Much Memory (RAM/Storage) Does the KSP Have?  (Read 983 times)

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
In regards to recording pitch bend, mod wheel, and aftertouch data, I have been told that there may be memory limitations that would make that difficult. And also that the sequencer, being a "step" sequencer, can't send data continuously. Even tho Control Mode records CC data, and CC stands for Continuous Control.
So, seriously. I've been thinkin on that a bit confusedly. How much RAM/storage does the KSP have? How limited is it? RAM is incredibly cheap, so I see no reason Arturia would skimp on that. Or did you? .. (EDIT: Yes I'm talking about non-volatile memory)
MIDI data is inherently small. (EDIT: It had to be considering computing tech and capabilities when it was developed) .. It takes up very little space. CC data is only 8-bit and PB, MW, and AT are 14-bit. VERY VERY little data. We're talking a few hundred kilobytes for a complete classical work in MIDI including all the instruments and control data for those instruments.
Soooo .... How is it even REMOTELY possible that memory could be a potential issue in recording such data? What, did you only put a couple megs in this thing? If so, shame on you! If not, then what's the problem? Is the data not stored as standard MIDI data and in some proprietary format instead? Why would you do that? That would be a ridiculous design decision.

Furthermore, regarding being a "step" sequencer and thus not being able to actually send continuous data.
Okay. Um ..... Well ... If we record notes without quantize on, it'll record EXACTLY as played. Not directly on the beat. This means that the data storage of notes is granular. I.E.- The data is not simply stored "per step." There are many many tinier divisions of each step. If this weren't true, then quantize mode wouldn't matter. All notes would be triggered on the beat.
As such, it makes zero sense that the KSP wouldn't be able to send continuous data. (See above regarding what "CC" means)

Finally, why are you ignoring the KSP so much? It's almost like you're embarrassed by it, when it could be one of your flagship products. HELL! You pushed the KeyStep 37 harder than you've pushed the KSP. WTAF.
Perhaps you should fire the KSP design team and put the original designers of the original KeyStep and BeatStep products on it. Why you didn't do that in the first place boggles my mind.

I have repeatedly defended Arturia. I have many Arturia products and, in general, am quite happy with them.
The way you've been treating the KSP tho .... Like it's some "problem child" that you'd rather not deal with. It's aggravating as hell. Seriously!! It took a year to get the 2.0 firmware out, which then broke several things. What, is it gonna be another year before there's another REAL firmware update? 2.0.1 doesn't count since it's pretty much just a bug fix.

Get on the ball here Arturia. WTAF. C'mon. You're a major company and there is ZERO excuse for this crap.  >:(
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 11:08:45 pm by artao »
This space left intentionally blank.

Ar1

• Apprentice
Re: SPECIFICALLY How Much Memory (RAM/Storage) Does the KSP Have?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 11:54:07 pm »
Good question, good points. There are several companies that make *EPIC*, *GREAT*, *UNEXPECTED* firmware updates where major bugs have already been fixed and then release something amazing for fans. Latest examples?
- Digitakt OS Upgrade 1.30
- OP-1

I just check some "amazing" updates for Arturia KSP from somewhere in internet:

Global transpose - Transpose multiple melodic tracks at the same time (still can't be controlled by MIDI or even one finger - not useful)
Global value offset - Apply a relative offset for any of the five main controls for every step across the selected track pattern (nice, but just small improvement as it can't be recorded)
Arpeggios in sequences - You can now record arpeggios into a sequence (still can't play and record without changing modes)
Recording Chord Mode - Record Chord Mode chords into a sequence (not a big deal)
Arpeggios while stopped - Create and play arpeggios while KeyStep Pro isn’t playing (amazing! Who could think ARP will not work without press PLAY?)
MIDI Thru - MIDI Out 2 can now be set to Thru mode (this is not true, it's not a MIDI thru, it can't even merge signals)
Mono Mode - The mono mode has been refactored for a smoother experience (smoother experience...)
Arpeggio swing - You can now add swing amount to arpeggios using Shift (nice, is it like Keystep Pro now?)
Step Listen - Trigger sequence steps without playing a sequence so you can preview your notes (bug fix)
Workflow and UX - various workflow improvements to performance, functionality, and ease of use (for example...screen saver brighter called vegas mode?)

Yeah, Revolution has become. Could we record modwheel or pitchband on KEYBOARD SEQUENCER?

But I think Arturia know it all, just preparing bigger, newer, more expansive sequencer so after 1 year KSP can be forgotten.

PS. Yes, I still like KSP, but nowadays support is integral part of product (not only bugfixes but also new features), not something extra. And this part is really bad.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines