March 28, 2024, 10:59:31 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Keylab 88 key is a bit stuck  (Read 2433 times)

Khin

• Apprentice
Keylab 88 key is a bit stuck
« on: July 02, 2021, 11:53:54 am »
Having a dead D4 key, I had to open up my Keylab and clean it. Upon reassembling the controller, I found that the key now works, but the white gooey glue substance (what is this for?) has stuck to the key. It's playable, but I have to "break it in" every time, and it's never as light as the other keys. This makes emotional playing hard, as there's suddenly a key that needs more finger strength to make sound.

What I'm wondering is if there's any way to clean the key without having to open up the Keylab, as it was a scary process I don't want to repeat unless absolutely necessary.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: Keylab 88 key is a bit stuck
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2021, 01:04:11 pm »
Short answer is no. I'm sure as you found out while undertaking the task, you can't get to the circuitboard to clean the contacts without disassembly.
Your reference to white gooey glue substance has me puzzled though.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Khin

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 12:01:04 pm »
Short answer is no. I'm sure as you found out while undertaking the task, you can't get to the circuitboard to clean the contacts without disassembly.
Your reference to white gooey glue substance has me puzzled though.
When I disassembled the board, I found all the keys are smeared with it. Is it like an oil to keep the keys functioning? In any case, it stuck to a key, thus my problem. Are there any instructions for disassembling a Keylab 88? If I have to open it up again, I'd prefer to follow a guide

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 01:31:27 pm »
Ah right, probably some kind of grease.
There will be a service manual no doubt, but it isn't publicly available.

Times have changed. The assumed technical competence of the average consumer has plummeted. (Well that and the fact more and more products are purposefully designed to be non user-serviceable.) Fifty years ago if you took the base off a synth or even hifi gear you found a circuit diagram inside on a printed sheet. Or in the back of the owners' manual. But those were also the days when car owners'-manuals told you how to set the valve clearances. These days they warn you not to drink the battery acid.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

MikyMike

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2022, 06:22:16 pm »
Hi,
did you manage to solve this? I'm experiencing the same problem with one of my D - keys

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines