April 20, 2024, 05:08:55 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: What is the point of the Midi Thru option?  (Read 3760 times)

Ar1

• Apprentice
What is the point of the Midi Thru option?
« on: June 24, 2021, 10:02:02 am »
Could anyone give me an example of any meaningful use of Midi Thru that has been implemented in Keystep Pro? By default, both outputs act as MIDI OUT, sending the same information. When MIDI THRU is enabled, the OUT2 port sends only what is sent by MIDI IN (and USB, but I didn't check it). Nothing more? Instead of connecting something to MIDI IN and then to MIDI OUT2, just plug it in directly with one cable. So what is the point of this option?

If the device had acted as Merger, it would have been a completely different story - it would have been absolutely sensational and useful.

Andrew Henderson

Re: What is the point of the Midi Thru option?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 11:03:26 am »
The KeyStep Pro does not send midi CC, after touch, or program change messages out of the midi out.  If you have external gear hooked up to this port, you won't be able to do the above mentioned.  By setting the second midi out to a thru however, all midi information will now be passed through to external synths, meaning you can now send midi cc, after touch and program change messages, etc and have your external gear respond, which was not the case before.

Ar1

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 11:51:33 am »
I'm not sure I understand correctly, maybe I didn't quite clearly ask the question.

It has, for example, four devices:
- KSP with Midi Thru set to OUT2
- Synthesizer 1 connected to KSP MIDI OUT1
- Synthesizer 2 connected to KSP MIDI OUT2
- MIDI keyboard connected to KSP MIDI IN

From what I understand:
- What I play on KSP will only be sent to MIDI OUT1
- What I play on the MIDI Keyboard will only be sent to MIDI OUT2

If so, I can directly connect the MIDI Keyboard to Synthesizer 2 and have the same effect. Or am I wrong and there are some advantages to this solution?

statlerw

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 01:40:48 pm »
Maybe for multiple channels? As I understand it, if you receive midi on (for example) tracks 1 and 6, you can utilise the signal from channel 1 on the keystep pro, and pass through (for example) channel 6 to another device.

It is entirely possible that I am wrong about this, but this is what I understand from the following update to the manual:

MIDI OUT 2 can now be configured as a MIDI THRU port When set to Thru, MIDI info received at the MIDI In or the USB port will be forwarded to MIDI OUT 2. You can set this in
the MIDI control center, or from Utility>MIDI Settings.

Note: Information sent on the tracks input MIDI channels will be processed by the KeyStep Pro tracks. On the other hand, you can disable the tracks input MIDI channels to let the
signal pass thru on all channels.

K001XS

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2023, 01:24:10 pm »
Exactly. The thru option is pointless.

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2023, 10:28:28 pm »
The KeyStep Pro does not send midi CC, after touch, or program change messages out of the midi out.  If you have external gear hooked up to this port, you won't be able to do the above mentioned.  By setting the second midi out to a thru however, all midi information will now be passed through to external synths, meaning you can now send midi cc, after touch and program change messages, etc and have your external gear respond, which was not the case before.
The KSP most definitely sends CC and aftertouch. But you're correct that it can't do program change.
What it won't do is RECORD CC and aftertouch.
It still sends it out the MIDI out ports tho. I use them pretty regularly and it works just fine.
This space left intentionally blank.

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2023, 10:29:56 pm »
I have never understood the usefulness of MIDI thru anywhere. I can't think of any use cases.
I agree that MIDI merge would be MUCH more useful.
This space left intentionally blank.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines