April 25, 2024, 05:25:23 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Harmonic overtones on all notes played into Logic Pro X via Keylab Mkii  (Read 968 times)

Michael J Spraggon

Hi, Whenever I play notes into an instrument track on Logic Pro X using the Keylab 88 Mkii, the notes have a slight, but noticeable harsh harmonic overtone on them. The overtones seem to be from the harmonic series above each note, and seem to vary with the velocity the note is struck.

It's particularly noticeable on acoustic samples, such as piano and solo strings, such as violin. The severity varies from note to note. The overtones are still there when I play the recording back.

It happens regardless of which player I use (Play or Kontakt), or which sample library manufacturer (EastWest or Sonic Boutique, to name but two), or which interface I use (iRig Pro Duo or Focusrite Scarlett 2i4), but if I change to my other Midi controller (iRig Keys 49) or input notes using the event or score editors then there are no overtones.

Therefore I can only conclude that the Keylab 88 Mkii is putting overtones on the sound as it is being played, and these are being recorded on the instrument track in Logic (hence I hear it as I'm playing the notes AND when playing the recording back).

Does anyone know if this is a fault with the unit, or simply a setting I can turn off in the Keylab?

Thanks,
Michael

LBH

Re: Harmonic overtones on all notes played into Logic Pro X via Keylab Mkii
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 01:41:21 am »
Hi,

Have you checked if the velocity from your other controller, is as high values as when you use your Keylab?
It can also be, that you apply modulation with aftertouch or something else. Have you checked, if this is the case? All active modulators add to the modulation that's send to instruments.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2021, 10:41:58 am »
Look at the piano roll for the track. Have a look at what data has been recorded in it, including any CC controls. The Keylab is just a midi controller, it can only send midi data to Logic, but 'overtones' would be an audio-related issue, which the controller itself cannot send, or generate. Obviously I'm not saying you're lying, I'm just saying that a midi controller cannot generate overtones, so it is sending something else to Logic which is giving rise to the anomalies you hear.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Michael J Spraggon

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2022, 08:26:35 pm »
Thanks for your suggestions. I didn't get round to trying them because when I opened Logic Pro yesterday, the overtone problem was gone! I couldn't work out why so I held off celebrating in case it came back again.

Today, I noticed that the MIDI cable was not plugged into my Focusrite interface, so it seems that I don't need it - the power to the piano and the MIDI from it to the Mac both go through the USB cable between the piano and the Mac. The problem may have been interference between the same MIDI signal going in via two paths at once. Does that seem plausible?

Fingers crossed this is actually the solution and the problem won't come back again!

LBH

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2022, 10:26:19 pm »
Thanks for your suggestions. I didn't get round to trying them because when I opened Logic Pro yesterday, the overtone problem was gone! I couldn't work out why so I held off celebrating in case it came back again.

Today, I noticed that the MIDI cable was not plugged into my Focusrite interface, so it seems that I don't need it - the power to the piano and the MIDI from it to the Mac both go through the USB cable between the piano and the Mac. The problem may have been interference between the same MIDI signal going in via two paths at once. Does that seem plausible?

Fingers crossed this is actually the solution and the problem won't come back again!
You definetely just need the USB connection between your controller and your computer.

Midi is'nt audio.
If you somehow had a setup, where your soundsource recieved midi comming from both you controller and you Focusrite interface at the same time, then perhaps it would multiply midi messages.
Or if you somehow had created a midi feedback, then depending on your routings and other settings perhaps you also could get some audioble issues.
I can't tell, if your connections had anything to do with your issue, or if the audioble side of the issue is plausible, as i have'nt heard it or been there myself. It also depends on, what you mean by harmonics. It does'nt matter. It's good, if things work, when you only use the USB connection. Then it's as it should be.
If it work now, then perhaps it was about the connections. In that case you if interested to know should be able to replicate it, and find out yourself, if it was about that.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2022, 01:23:52 pm »
It sounds to me like you had somehow created a midi feedback loop.
One thing I've always noticed: when someone posts-up a problem that you know just simply cannot happen (such as a midi controller sending 'overtones'), there's always some crucial hidden nugget of information you haven't been told, which the OP didn't originally mention because they didn't think it was relevant, and which casually bubbles to the surface about five pages in. At least it didn't take that long this time.

I'm glad you got it working.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines