April 25, 2024, 01:05:27 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Option to retrigger arpeggiator on every note  (Read 1275 times)

DaveBoulden

• Apprentice
    • Personal site
Option to retrigger arpeggiator on every note
« on: July 03, 2021, 05:20:42 pm »
I am intending to use Pigments live as part of my keys rig. We play a few cover songs that have arpeggiators (Duran Duran - Hungry Like the Wolf, Queen - Radio Ga Ga etc.) which I play against a live drummer. He has pretty damned solid timing, but he's not metronomic, so I sync with him by retriggering the arp every bar or two. This is great until my played notes overlap which causes the arp to continue at the same tempo rather than restarting from my new sync point.

I would like an option to make the arp (or sequencer) to retrigger from the start with every new note-on event so that I can easily fix the sync whenever the arp drifts from the drummer on on downbeats without me needing to be sure I've released the previous note momentarily before playing the next one. That would make it much easier to keep in sync from a keys player's perspective.

I hope that makes sense.

LBH

Re: Option to retrigger arpeggiator on every note
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2021, 10:28:43 pm »
Hi,

If the playmode in the Keyboard settings is'nt set to "Legato", then the Sequencer reset to step 1 at every new played note and the clock restart.
This is'nt the case for the Arpeggiator.

So some options you have is:
1. You have to not play legato style to restart the clock, when you use the Arpeggiator.
2. Use the Sequencer instead of the Arp.
3. Play the sequences/ Arps manually note by note.
4. The drummer learn to play to a click track (a metronome).

I guess a restart sequencer parameter could be applied for the Arp (i would like that option), but perhaps you also would like a certain note order to be applied the played notes, and then perhaps it can get triggy, as this also have to do with the selected Arp mode.
An Arp that suddenly have a jump in the beat is'nt good or pleasant for a listener. Then better to play the arp note by note, so the drums and arpeggio is being adapted without sudden change.
Do you know of an Arpeggiator that can do what you wan't?

DaveBoulden

• Apprentice
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2021, 02:06:10 pm »
Aaah, I didn't know the sequencer would retrigger the way I need, I can swap to using that instead.

Playing the Arps manually note by note isn't an option on some songs as I only have one hand free and the Arp covers up to 3 octaves of 16th notes. Our style of performance doesn['t lend itself to playing to a click, indeed we play everything completely live with me just using the odd Arp retriggered every bar or sometimes I employ chord pads when one hand can't reach everything. But no problem, I can use the sequencer instead.

Thanks for the info!

DaveBoulden

• Apprentice
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2021, 02:13:57 pm »
OK, I've just tried this and, unless I'm missing a setting somewhere, the sequencer does not retrigger the timing on each new note. I see that it does restart the sequence (as opposed to the Arpeggiator, which doesn't), but I really need something that will restart the timing on each note-down irrespective of any legato overlap so that I can reliably correct any timing drift of an Arp to a live drummer.

So my request for this as an option still stands.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 02:17:42 pm by DaveBoulden »

LBH

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2021, 06:32:33 pm »
the sequencer does not retrigger the timing on each new note. I see that it does restart the sequence (as opposed to the Arpeggiator, which doesn't),
Yes sorry. The Clock does'nt restart when playing Legato or use Hold for that matter. It's only retriggering to step one.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines