March 28, 2024, 03:38:14 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Midi mapping of the 16 keys  (Read 1639 times)

anyway

• Apprentice
Midi mapping of the 16 keys
« on: June 05, 2021, 10:37:37 am »
Hi,

I just bought the Keystep Pro recently and I have a problem with midi mapping. I'm experimenting a lot with VCV Rack and trying to follow a tutorial by Omri Cohen, where I first saw the KSP. However, in the video he uses the Beatstep Pro, but I assume that what works with one device should also work with the other. But maybe I'm wrong about that.

Okay, at this point in the video you can see Omri mapping single buttons/steps of the sequencer via CC signals:

Midi Mapping in VCV Rack 1.0
https://youtu.be/Dd0EESJhPZA?t=311

What I already manage to do is to map the 5 knobs using the "Control" button. However, the 16 keys just don't want to arrive in VCV. Are only the knobs sending CC signals and the keys not?

I want to try to program a ratcheting effect by picking up the signals of individual steps. A great thing would be of course if the KSP had ratcheting on board, I really miss this function.

Can someone please explain to me if and how to map the 16 keys? What settings do I need for this on the KSP side?

Thanks a lot for your support!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 10:46:05 am by anyway »

Andrew Henderson

Re: Midi mapping of the 16 keys
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 11:19:42 am »
As far as I know, the keys do not transmit cc's. You are correct, only the five control knobs do.

anyway

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2021, 12:20:19 pm »
Okay, thanks for the clarification.

My conclussion then is ...

Keystep Pro ≠ Keystep + Beatstep Pro

;-)

Andrew Henderson

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2021, 02:54:28 pm »
Okay, thanks for the clarification.

My conclussion then is ...

;-)

Unfortunately not, at least not in its current iteration.

There is a few things between the original key step and the beat step pro, that the key step pro currently does not do. I do hope this will change, however.

dct

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 03:32:50 pm »
:
:
:

Unfortunately not, at least not in its current iteration.

There is a few things between the original key step and the beat step pro, that the key step pro currently does not do. I do hope this will change, however.

I would also add that the KSP addresses a slightly different user profile (key vs pad playing). Hence my personal expectation was never to have the same user experience on both devices (though the KSP lacks still some basic BSP capabilities, which is another topic).
I might buy also a BSP additionally to my KSP. The pads are far more useful to address drum machines and sounds. Opposite to the keys on the KSP, which are exactly for chords or leads.
Keys: CX-3 II, Grandmother, Keystep Pro, Zen Delay

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines