April 20, 2024, 04:28:03 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Best options for midi control?  (Read 2323 times)

thebishop

Best options for midi control?
« on: May 24, 2021, 06:16:36 pm »
I'm struggling to find a midi map that lets me create patches without a mouse and keyboard. I have an M-Audio Axiom 49, a Novation Launchkey Mini (mk1), and an Akai MPC Live with midi out. Basically none of them have enough physical controls to make a dent in the sheer quantity of Pigments' params. I'm be tempted to get a Keystep, but with even fewer physical controls, it doesn't look like it would solve my problem.

Does anyone have a good solution to this?

I think a good solution would have to be coded into Pigments which would "page" between blocks of parameters using available hardware controls (primarily knobs).  This is how the MPC "Q-Link" controls work, and I think that would make a huge difference to Pigments' usability.  It would also be dope if Pigments could use Ableton-style LED-pad controls (available on most cheap USB keyboard controllers) to program the sequencer (again with page support for pitch/velocity/octave/etc).

As it stands now, I basically need a mapping for each individual patch. Since midi controls can't migrate or overlap between engines, a knob assigned for the harmonic engine can't be re-purposed for a wavetable patch/layer.

Pigments is incredibly powerful and maybe full hardware control is out of reach.  But with a hardware combination of knobs, faders, pads, and maybe modifier+key combos I think most of the interface could be controlled if there was software pagination/group switching. If Arturia isn't working on this, perhaps there could be some shim/bridge that could do it in VST mode. I'm still relatively new to the synth so please let me know if I'm missing something here.

Chromat1c

• Apprentice
Re: Best options for midi control?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 10:54:25 am »
To me this would only be practical if Arturia made a massive controller keyboard with a screen(s) and LCDs all over it and back lit labels LEDS etc. Imagine how pretty that could be!

The next logical progression would be to bung a CPU in there and have it as a Digital hardware synth.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines