April 23, 2024, 08:30:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Replace Record mode like the Squarp Pyramid  (Read 1322 times)

scab righteous

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Replace Record mode like the Squarp Pyramid
« on: May 11, 2021, 02:20:46 am »
The Squarp Pyramid has a great record mode which constantly replaces each step as you record. So you can improvise while looping over an 8 bar section and each pass of the loop replaces the previous pass on a step by step basis. When you have improvised a few passes of the loop and like what you just did, you exit record mode and the 8 bars that loop are your best take.

It's really useful for quickly making melodies and trying out ideas without stopping. And in a live performance, you are looping and trying things out, but you don't have to stick with a bad loop, as soon as you get an improv you like, you exit record and that take is the one that loops.

This would make the Keystep Pro a very unique live midi looper.

eric

• Apprentice
Re: Replace Record mode like the Squarp Pyramid
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 12:01:03 pm »
I think you can't compare a 800$ sequencer unit with the 350$ KSP. you can't ask a donkey to run a Derby against an Arabian stallion ! (French in this particular case ;) )
you get what you paid for !  ;D

synthcreep

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 12:20:31 am »
The Squarp Pyramid has a great record mode which constantly replaces each step as you record. So you can improvise while looping over an 8 bar section and each pass of the loop replaces the previous pass on a step by step basis. When you have improvised a few passes of the loop and like what you just did, you exit record mode and the 8 bars that loop are your best take.

This is pretty close to the standard behaviour if you turn off "overdub" on the KSP.  Not 100% as it will not erase all notes every pass but it will replace any steps that you play over on a given loop.

scab righteous

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 06:43:16 pm »
"I think you can't compare a 800$ sequencer unit with the 350$ KSP. you can't ask a donkey to run a Derby against an Arabian stallion !"

Although I agree  ;), this is more true when there are hardware limitations. I would be willing to bet this feature is missing from the KSP, not  because it is hard to implement, but because they just didn't see the use case for it. However midi looping is a really great performance feature! The MPC Live has it, but doesn't have an easy way to use a footpedal to toggle record on or off.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines