March 29, 2024, 09:30:02 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: triggering the sequencer accurately at the start of a bar - a quantise??  (Read 3336 times)

ckbrooks

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
I was wondering if there is perhaps a way to have the sequencer quantise to always trigger at the start of a bar accurately.

My problem scenario is, I may be playing a sequence by pressing one key down, then want to change it up to a higher key. At present, if I am not 100% accurate when I press, the whole thing sounds flaky. What I'm looking for is a setting where, rather like the pattern setting, I can press a trigger key at any time during a sequence, but the change ONLY comes into effect at the start of the next loop/bar.

Any ideas? It would make live recording use much more of a possibility!

ASch

Re: triggering the sequencer accurately at the start of a bar - a quantise??
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 05:23:47 pm »
Doesn't answer your request for a quantize on this, but I find running the sequencer with Hold on makes it fairly easy to hit the beat.  That is, with Hold on, your "close enough" margin is better than if you don't have Hold on...

ckbrooks

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 08:02:23 pm »
Thanks, but really, to do anything properly, I think I'd need a proper quantise, especially on faster BPM's. I'm sure they  will address this as time goes on. However, what's been achieved so far is quite spectacular in my opinion.

JacksonP

• Beta-testers
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 12:06:50 am »
Syncing arpeggiator patterns and sequences is a very common general problem (and surely not just Origins). Playing live its very difficult to sync things even though things are following same clock. This is a typical one: you start one sequence/arp pattern and after a while you press another and HOPE it's synced to first. Normally it isn't and you have to "find" it with more or less attempts.

Sometimes I really get angry when all those synths cannot be really synchronized which means that patterns start exactly same time. This would need some quantization parameter of course.  As a live player, I'd really like to develop things like layered arpeggiators but very often it's too difficult to handle. And to be clear, I am not saying that those patterns need to start at exactly same time in bar(s) time level. What I need is that they start at same beat.

Maybe Origin could be the first one to have option to use QUANTIZED ARPS/SEQUENCES? And of course, there are sounds that aren't that immediate (they need little time to open), so maybe there could be also change to adjust delay of those quantized patterns.

What do you think? Am I dreaming of impossible things? Or is this relevant to just small amount of players?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 12:11:45 am by JacksonP »

ckbrooks

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 08:41:49 am »
Hi,

Drum machines work this way all the time, so does the Origin pattern change in the sequencer, and my old Roland groovebox used to do this quite happily too.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines